Reishi Mushroom Power – The Plant of Immortality

I asked an elderly Japanese friend why she looks so young for her age. She said she drinks tea made with reishi mushrooms. The Chinese name for reishi mushrooms is ling zhi, meaning “plant of immortality.” These medicinal mushrooms have a history of safety that goes back at least 2,000 years. In my world, any herb that’s been used continually for centuries deserves respect from modern medical science as opposed to snide comments as if it’s “snake oil.” Mushrooms and fungi with incredible healing powers are now starting to gain attention from integrative physicians as well as folks who choose to self-treat after modern medicine fails them. The studies are simply undeniable.

Right now there are more than 800 scientific studies (!) on reishi mushrooms on file in the National Institutes of Health’s database. According to some well-designed animal and human trials, reishi extracts offers potential support for cardiovascular issues, infectious disease, liver detoxification, arthritis pain, asthma and other respiratory and immune system disorders. Basically head to toe coverage. Overseas, it’s common for cancer patients to willingly fork over the considerable expense for these medicinal mushrooms, and unlike the United States,  health plans often cover the treatment.

It’s perspective.
You see, back when they were gathered from the wild, these mushrooms were considered rare and valuable. Now that they are cultivated commercially, reishi is relatively less expensive and readily available at health food stores nationwide. Real mushrooms like the one I cook in my video below, are expensive. I paid about $25 for that one. Granted the man at Home Depot sawed it in half so I technically got 2 servings for my $25 but you see my point, it’s pricey stuff. And then again, is it? I mean, is it pricey if you think about the anti-cancer and antimicrobial effect? For me, it’s the price I pay for good health.

If reishi has even half of the healing and disease-preventing power that traditional Asian healers claim for it, one could easily see why it would be considered a longevity herb and part of your anti-aging arsenal.

Let’s get to the good stuff
Studies have shown that reishi can help improve cholesterol ratios and control blood sugar. Just look at all the benefits:

• Anti-inflammatory
  • Antihistamine
  • Antiviral
  • Antibacterial
  • Improves cholesterol ratios
  • Modulates immune function
  • Adrenal adaptagen
  • Thyroid stimulating (mild)
  • Improves mood

Reishi is fabulous during the winter season. It gently stimulates your thyroid gland to make a little bit more thyroid hormone and that helps with energy and weight. Thyroid is imperative for healthy hair growth. (For more information on thyroid you should read my book, Thyroid Healthy.)

There are many anti-cancer assertions, based upon studies on immune function. Here’s where things get really interesting. One study done in Puerto Rico, published  in the medical journal Nutrition and Cancer found that reishi has the ability to stunt the growth and spread of inflammatory breast cancer (IBC) cells. The study was done in test tubes on the cells themselves, not in living humans. Now, take into account that naturopathic physicians have already experienced some success in treating this fast-growing form of breast  cancer. And researcher and Professor Michelle Martinez Montemayor, Ph.D (who conducted the study) came to this conclusion:

Our findings suggest that reishi extract could be used as a novel anticancer therapeutic for IBC patients.

Don’t be afraid.
By that I mean, chat with your practitioner. If you don’t get satisfaction, print this column and take it in. Print up a study on pubmed related to your condition. If you have cancer, of any kind, I’d absolutely knock the door down to discuss reishi as an adjunctive treatment with your oncologist! I take reishi supplements on and off throughout the year just for good health and occasionally buy the giant mushrooms from my local herbal apothecary. You will have to just soak them in a crock pot on low heat. It’s easy. Want to learn how? Watch me in this video where I teach you how to make your own tea. Your benefit is tremendous, you might save money over the long haul if your health improves. You will learn something new, and you will gain more natural reishi compounds from doing it my way as opposed to buying commercial supplements.  That said, there are brands of commercial supplements that are fine to take, it’s really about your preference, and your tastebuds. My tea is strong, it’s natural, but it doesn’t taste as good as a capsule. Sorry. I have to be honest with you, my tea doesn’t taste that good, it’s just okay. It’s fine to me. It’s the tea of immortality so I just ‘down’ it.  It’ll put a little hair on your chest, lol. Cheers. Drink up … I’ll see you in a hundred years!

If you don’t want to make your own tea from scratch and prefer to simply buy nice, organic tea bags of reishi Click Here to buy a Buddha brand tea from amazon. I don’t sell it, I just drink it 😉

2015-01-09T21:09:15+00:00

103 Comments

1. David Kugler January 11, 2015 at 8:51 am - Reply

Dear Suzy, I have MS so I’m in the fight for my life. The countless never ending drug lines is overwhelming to my wallet as well as my life. I want to drink up and I don’t care what the taste is like. If it works well the cost comparatively speaking will be little. Well cheers to a new year and hopefully we can be toasting to a much healthier me. Take care, David Kugler. PS I’m going to video document the effects this mushroom has on me. “Wish me luck”

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:33 pm - Reply

David
      You are exactly the kind of fan I adore, you must never give up. Do you know my sweet Sam struggled for about 18 years and bounced around from doctor to doctor with all sorts of diagnoses, including “MS” and it turns out he never had that. It was Lyme disease, from a tick bite. He never even saw the critter on him. You can get there, you don’t need luck if you have courage and willpower, and I know you do 🙂

2. Alison January 11, 2015 at 10:37 am - Reply

I have an auto immune disease is this tea safe to drink?

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:51 pm - Reply

Hi Alison. Nice to meet you here! Thank you for participating and for your excellent question. I’m confident others are wondering too.
      I say YES, but I’m not your doctor. It can lower blood pressure, I should have included that in my article so just be aware of that. It’s considered a beneficial side effect. In China, reish is used for treatment of autoimmune diseases. Like other medicinal mushrooms, reishi mushroom is used to treat cancer patients, and HIV and Lyme disease and other infectious disorders (which could be driving your autoimmunity) due to its ability to activate Natural Killer cells, macrophages, T lymphocytes, and healing cytokines, all important immune system players.
      Does this help?

3. Rebecca Swain January 11, 2015 at 11:13 am - Reply

Suzy, where do you find the reishie mushrooms?

• Lorraine Mazza January 19, 2015 at 1:00 pm - Reply

Hello Suzy,

I had Lyme about 20 years ago. While undergoing treatment, I became allergic to the antibiotic after about 1 week. Had to stop and no further treatment was offered. I have felt better over the years, but still am subject to G.I. problems often, tiredness, unable to sleep throughout night, energy low at times. Would Reichie mushroom help me? Where is a safe place to purchase some?

Love your newsletters. They’re very helpful and I send copies to friends who will benefit from reading them.

• FAZIA February 6, 2015 at 2:04 pm - Reply

I purchased from mountain Rose Herb. ( one time so far). Suggest getting slices/pieces as the whole ones are very large and impossible to divide using any home tools.
      Made my first tea today.

• Teresa Filman July 14, 2015 at 7:09 pm - Reply

Reishi has dramatically reduced my high blood pressure and have been happy with http://growokc.com where I get it from. Cheers to you good health!

4. Diana January 11, 2015 at 12:20 pm - Reply

I use herbs/essential oils, though I’m still learning. But I have never heard of this. I would however love to learn more. I will start doing some research. Where can one buy those mushrooms to ‘brew’ their own tea rather than using pre-made extracts or tea bags? Thanks so much for sharing this!

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:30 pm - Reply

Hi Diana
      Read the thread above, and check back again because I continuously post comments here, it will help you with your research. I buy my mushrooms at a local apothecary, but I’ve tried oral softgels, capsules and liquid extracts. Read above to learn more. Suzy

5. Alexandra January 11, 2015 at 12:38 pm - Reply

Hi is there a good internet source to get these mushrooms whole like the one you had. It must be grown in clean soil and be free of pesticide and metals????
    Tks Alex

6. Diana B. January 11, 2015 at 12:57 pm - Reply

If reishi is stimulating to the yhyroid, is it not a good choice for those who have yhyroid cancer? We probably don’t want to stimulate and growth… Thoughts?

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:28 pm - Reply

Not sure Diana, but thank you for your question. It is certainly a strong immunomodulator and it has strong anti-cancer properties. Reishi is frequently used on people who are undergoing chemotherapy, to help negate the bad effects of the chemo. One of the primary ingredients in Reishi is polysaccharides, in case that helps you with research. You can also look up “ganoderma triterpines” and cancer, or “carcinoma” and see what comes up.

7. Steven Purdy January 11, 2015 at 1:01 pm - Reply

I am liking what you wrote – I’ve heard many good things about reishi. Is there something special about making tea with it, instead of just eating it?

8. Brenda January 11, 2015 at 1:10 pm - Reply

I agree. The benefits are multi-fold and I feel perfectly safe drinking this. I am currently exploring Chaga Mushrooma, which are recommeded for the same healing properties. What have you discovered, if anything, about the Chaga Mushroom?

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:24 pm - Reply

I’m playing with those next, what I read is impressive. Helps make you more alert.

• Lorrie January 13, 2015 at 11:29 am - Reply

Can’t wait for your review on the Chaga as I am interested too! I’ve been drinking the Ganoderma coffee that has Reishi in it. Do you think it’s as beneficial as the tea?? Thanks tons 🙂

• Suzy Cohen January 14, 2015 at 7:46 am - Reply

I don’t know, but worth a try. I’ll have to get some of that myself. I bought camel milk yesterday… not brave enough to drink it yet.

9. Linda Crouch January 11, 2015 at 1:13 pm - Reply

Where do I buy the whole mushrooms at to put in crock pot? Smaller size.

10. Barb January 11, 2015 at 1:18 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy, is it ok for Hashimotos? Love your newsletter! Thanks

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:24 pm - Reply

Not sure, it is an immune modulator, it knows what part of the immune system to stimulate, and what to dampen down but you should ask doc. If I had an autoimmune disease, I would try it but that is me, I want you to double check what is right for yourself.

11. Michael January 11, 2015 at 2:29 pm - Reply

This mushroom has blood thinning ability. I am concerned taking it with fish oil. What are your thoughts? Also, is it best to take this mushroom on and “on and off” basis – one week you take and abstain from fish oil, the week you don’t take – you take fish oil? I have heard that some herbs or supplements lose their benefit if you take all the time. Sometimes less is more.

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:22 pm - Reply

Up to you. Fish oils and reishi shouldn’t be ‘dangerous’ it’s not at all like mixing Coumadin with it. Ask doc to be 100% sure or do what you’re thinking, alternate 🙂
      Agreed on the “Less is more.”

12. Joy January 11, 2015 at 2:36 pm - Reply

I want to read this article but there are huge blue quotation marks (or something) right in the middle of the page blocking a lot of words. I can’t get it off. Can you?

Thanks.

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:21 pm - Reply

I’m going into wordpress to get rid of those, I shouldn’t try to be so fancy eh?! Does it look better now?

13. Tanya January 11, 2015 at 3:21 pm - Reply

How much mushroom to one crockpot? I would have to order my mushrooms, and I found one pound bags…is that a good ratio to make a batch?

(Also I am using IE11 and the page right now has a giant set of quotation marks beneath the quote box, covering the text and making the link to the Buddha tea not work. The link from the source code is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLM3ZRO/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00DLM3ZRO&linkCode=as2&tag=dearpharmacis-20)

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:20 pm - Reply

Hi Tany
      One mushroom to one crockpot. I actually cook the same mushroom 2 times, so the first extraction is drained off, then I cook it again for 24 hours with more water. Now, if it’s a giant mushroom like the one I had in my video, I can’t even get it in my crockpot, I had to cut it in half. I cooked it twice. Thanks for letting me know about IE11 (Internet Explorer 11) and so I can’t see what you’re seeing. I am on Firefox, and Safari and it looks good to me. I will have to make some changes to fix it so you can see it correctly. I appreciate you letting me know.

• Tanya January 18, 2015 at 4:22 am - Reply

The page is fixed! Thanks! I just got my Buddha tea bags in the mail. Decided to try that before making my own. I asked a friend who is studying to be an herbalist (not sure what the correct term is!) and she said she is taking capsules from Aloha Medicinals since not all beneficial things in them are water-soluble, as you mentioned in a comment too. She thought taking both capsules and the tea would be best combo.

14. Kathy January 11, 2015 at 3:32 pm - Reply

First I want to tell you how much I appreciate ALL the information you share. Your Drug Mugger book is amazing!

Second- I want to get on the Reishi Mushroom train! Where is a good place to purchase the mushrooms from? Also, is there any use for the mushroom after you have created the tea, will it make more than one batch of tea? Can you eat it? So many questions!!

Thanks~

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm - Reply

Hi Kathy,
      First, thank you for the compliment on Drug Muggers. It goes down in history for everyone’s favorite kick-ass book! To think that initially, publishers wouldn’t touch it and I had to self publish…
      Second, about purchasing the mushrooms… you can call Rebecca’s Apothecary in Boulder and ask if they will take orders over the phone. You might be able to buy them at online apothecaries too. Yes, I actually do use the mushroom twice. So I drain off the extract after it’s cooked for 24 hours, and I add more water and do it again for 24 more hours on low heat. I combine it with the first extraction. It’s weaker but yes, you definitely can get more out of each mushroom. You can’t get ALL the compounds out of it with water, you get mostly polysaccharadies… so some of it requires an alcohol extraction which I don’t do. If you want the fullest benefits you would be extracting with water and with alcohol. For that reason, some of the liquid extracts might be even more useful. It’s really what you feel led to do. You can buy a liquid extract (full extraction) that is already prepared. I take this too. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000158G32/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000158G32&linkCode=as2&tag=dearpharmacis-20
      Does this help? Suzy

• Kathy January 12, 2015 at 12:30 am - Reply

Thanks Suzy, Yes that helps! P.S. I am also a big fan of all your talks on the summits out there- Thyroid, Autoimmune, Natural Cures, Detox and so on. I’ve learned so much from you!

• Suzy Cohen January 12, 2015 at 6:57 pm - Reply

Awe, thanks so much! Makes me want to do more of those things. They are time-consuming so it is wonderful to hear that they are appreciated. Did you get my free talk yet on the pain summit? Available now too.

15. Norma Rahey January 11, 2015 at 3:39 pm - Reply

My dear Suzy,
    I thank you so much for all your advises.
    I am on Mushrooms since I was diagnose with invasive breast cancer
    2005, not only Reishi is good all of them are excellent remedies. I called
    them **Heal All**
    Thanks again and HAPPY NEW YEAR 2015
    Keep up the good Health and the good work.
    Love Norma

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:12 pm - Reply

Hi Norma
      You are so sweet to just post such a lovely comment to me. You are a hero dear and a champ! Good for you on Reishi and doing well 10 years later!!!

16. Lynette J January 11, 2015 at 3:46 pm - Reply

Dear Suzy,
    I live in a backward state and can’t find this mushroom so I turned to the internet.
    The only place I can find it is on eBay. I have to join eBay to purchase it. I don’t want to do that.
    Any suggestions where else to look? Where did you get your mushrooms? Also they sell them by the ounce not by inches.
    I have multiple health issues that are serious and I’m looking for anything that I can try to get something turning in another healthy direction.
    PLEASE HELP!
    warmly,
    Lynette J.

17. Chara January 11, 2015 at 3:47 pm - Reply

SO helpful. I am always looking for the right anti-inflammatory approaches, and currently need thyroid and hair support. I trust herbs, and value Chinese herbs, but I do feel concerned about reports of heavy metal toxicity in quite a few Chinese herbs. Any thoughts on this aspect?

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:10 pm - Reply

Hi Chara,
      I don’t import anything for this reason. When you optimize your thyroid, you will see improved hair growth. Probiotics and biotin also may help, and controlling estrogen (if that applies). I don’t worry about metals in the mushrooms I use but I understand the concern.

18. Nancy Meyer January 11, 2015 at 3:56 pm - Reply

I really like your articles and advise. Just one question: if I am allergic to antihistamine in medicine, should I be careful with this herb? My reaction to the drug was a racing heart beat. Thank you!

Nancy

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:08 pm - Reply

Hi Nancy
      Reishi is not an “antihistamine” medicine like diphenhydramine, loratadine or chlorpheniramine… it’s an herb. If you have further questions, you can ask doc since he/she has your chart. Reishi has nothing to do with those medicines though.

19. Shakeh January 11, 2015 at 4:13 pm - Reply

Dear Suzy: Do you know which reishi liquid extract is the best? I like to take liquids because
    it is more absorbable.. I heard this is most beneficial for elderly’s immune
    system. Thanks for the article.

Shakeh

20. Sandy January 11, 2015 at 5:02 pm - Reply

Suzy, where do you buy the whole mushroom?

Thanks so much for you knowledge and good humor and generosity!

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:02 pm - Reply

I get mine at Rebecca’s apoothecary in Boulder, Colorado b/c I live close by. I’m not sure but I think she will sell them over the phone. Can check, or you can buy commercial extracts and teas, and supplements.

• Helga February 25, 2015 at 12:34 am - Reply

I went to Rebecca’s Apothacary website and ordered the mushrooms, had them 3 days later, I live in Ohio. They didn’t have the whole ones, I got strips, $4.50 oz. There was a good amount in the bag. I sweetened mine with honey, yum. Thanks Suzy.

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:44 pm - Reply

Hi Sandy,
      LOL, thanks. I get mine at a local apothecary, and simmer them. I also do buy the extracts. I can’t always occupy my crock pot with mushrooms because a) I need to occasionally make bone broth or chicken soup and b) I’m not always home, sometimes I’m traveling for family, a book signing or a lecture. So the liquid extracts fit in my purse. Read this page of threads, there are other sources.

21. julialoha January 11, 2015 at 5:46 pm - Reply

Interesting article. Where do you recommend buying a reishi mushroom?

22. B. Miesel January 11, 2015 at 7:58 pm - Reply

Dear Suzy,
    The instructions for my slow cooker say to NOT tighten down the lid during cooking. That is a safe-traveling feature only. Just in case…..because I saw you lock yours down for 24 hrs of immortal tea.

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 8:04 pm - Reply

Hmm. I’ve been locking it down for years, lucky I didn’t blow myself up! Not that FDA officials wouldn’t be happy with that… but anyway… I thought that was the point of the crock pot, to lock in the heat and moisture.

23. Maria January 11, 2015 at 8:29 pm - Reply

Hi Suzi,
    You have one of your biggest fans over here in South Africa and I have to ask you a very important question. I cant get hold of the mushroom as such however am able to have a preparation in capsule form with Reishi and other medicinal mushrooms in it – I would love to take them to help my Hashimotos Thyroditis which I am fighting hard to overcome. I have watched David Wolve explain the benefits on video and it looks really promising. What would your advise be?

24. Karen Ingram January 11, 2015 at 8:33 pm - Reply

My mother has CFS, Fibromyalgia and Candida. Shouldn’t she avoid all mushrooms because they are fungi?

25. L Anderson January 11, 2015 at 9:06 pm - Reply

I have ulcerative colitis as well as arthritis. What are the effects of this mushroom on these two issues.

• Suzy Cohen January 12, 2015 at 7:11 pm - Reply

Hello, that is a very good question. UC is an autoimmune disorder so I think Reishi could benefit, but not sure about arthritis. Did you mean rheumatoid or osteo??? I bet others are wondering the same question.
      Please go to pubmed.com and put in the search box “arthritis, ganoderma” or “osteoarthritis, reishi” or “polysaccharadies, colitis” and so forth.
      I have a feeling, results will be positive. If you find something interesting,would you please cut/paste it here for the rest of us?

26. Elizabeth Preston January 11, 2015 at 9:42 pm - Reply

Dear Suzy, I am a skin care fanatic and loved reading this article, but I have a question. I am always looking for new and better ways to fight wrinkles. So, how does this mushroom benefit the skin?

• Suzy Cohen January 12, 2015 at 7:08 pm - Reply

Hi Elizabeth,
      It’s not going to help with wrinkles that much. Better to use antioxidants internally. Silica supplements too.
      Or if you don’t mind animal-derived products try Neocell or Biocell collagen. I also like astaxanthin (it’s a microalgae). Does this help? (Read above on this thread, I answered Robin about my personal skin care regimen).

• Elizabeth Preston January 13, 2015 at 12:24 am - Reply

Thanks for the response. Actually it was your Youtube video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duIZR6jgs1w ), which drew me to your website, because we are using astaxanthin in our new antiwrinkle formulation. You seem to be one of the early proponents of astaxanthin, even my boss said he got to know about astaxanthin only in 2009. I am also intrigued with your suggestion of silica, it’s one of those ingredients our team is also using for topical application as well.
        Overall, your articles and website are really rich with information. Thanks.

27. Lori January 11, 2015 at 11:14 pm - Reply

Dear Suzy, I am really excited to try this for hubby with heart disease, and also for myself with autoimmune disorders – the most annoying one being interstitial cystitis (IC). If this tea bothers my bladder I will just give to my hubby.

I’ve looked on your website for any help or info with IC and couldn’t find anything. Do you have any ideas? It’s not fun to live with. I’ve actually read that it may be caused by Lyme disease which is a big possibility living here in Minnesota where it’s epidemic. Thanks for all that you do!! I read everything you send out!

• Suzy Cohen January 12, 2015 at 7:06 pm - Reply

Lyme cystitis, very common actually. Have to kill germs to get rid of this. Palliative treatments don’t work, not even the red pills (phenazopyridine). Have you tried Banderol/Samento combination by Nutramedix? It’s an option. There are hundreds of options/combinations to try. Ask your LLMD to focus on bladder. (It could also be tied to Bart, just fyi).

• Lori January 15, 2015 at 10:02 pm - Reply

No I haven’t tried that yet, but I’m sure going to look into it. I should really see an LLMD but the out of pocket costs have my hands tied, unfortunately. I am very grateful for your response and suggestion.

I have two cats, and one of them clawed deeply into my shoulder years ago resulting in a perfect 4.5 inch diameter circle. I suspect Bart got in there, though I’ve been dealing with possible Lyme and the symptoms for many years. Thanks so much for the suggestion. I will try anything!!

• sharie January 18, 2015 at 1:14 pm - Reply

Suzy
        My husband has RA and we did try a homepathic approach for barts with the gallons of infused water combinations and i ordered high dose professional probiotic from hallelujah acres .We spent alot of $ with no success. Is there anything you would recommend i could give him daily supplement form ? We have tried so many things he is now leary of me helping.

• Steph July 14, 2015 at 4:04 am - Reply

Hi Suzy,

I’ve purchased some reishi mushroom supplements recently, before discovering you, and the info you share. I have suffered from Interstitial Cystitis for over 16 years now, and as a result of not knowing the diagnosis until a year ago, I developed systemic candida from over use of antibiotics for all those years. I’ve tried bladder distention surgery, and am currently treating the candida through the care of a naturopath. I also have PBS, fibromyalgia (I’ve been told but not convinced), IBS, hypothyroid, and crazy anxiety. I’m trying to follow the IC and Candida dietary restrictions. I’m assuming if I take these supplements the benefits will outweigh any dietary issues. Am I a good candidate for this or am I just going to complicate all my efforts? Thank you so much for your info!

• Suzy Cohen July 14, 2015 at 2:45 pm - Reply

I love Reishi, it’s not going to mess up your Candida restrictions.

28. Rafles January 12, 2015 at 12:23 am - Reply

Good evening. You recommend all kind of natural and organic products and have (and probably use) a microwave, it is unbelievable, unbelievable!!!!!!!!

• Suzy Cohen January 12, 2015 at 7:04 pm - Reply

Why would you pass judgement on me so quickly?
      I use it to heat my microwaveable hot packs and heat up water for tea.
      It is also desirable for the resale of a home.
      (Now,let’s assume for a moment, that I did use a microwave to cook my meals every day, 3 times a day. Such a personal choice, not your business… why would you lash out on me, when I devote my life to writing free articles which could help heal people, including YOU).

• Wanda January 13, 2015 at 10:42 pm - Reply

Suzy, Please ignore such mean remarks , some people are just $#&@(% !. ( Can’t think of a word to fit ! ) You are wonderful, & I and so-o-o many people just love your wisdom, humor & caring words !

• David May 11, 2015 at 11:40 pm - Reply

Amen! I just want to say thank you for your articles. I actually used this one here to show a friend one of my products including ganoderma (reishi mushroom)

29. Wendy January 12, 2015 at 12:57 am - Reply

What are your thoughts on ingesting these mushrooms if intestinal candida is an issue? I think mushrooms are a no no when candida is present.

• Suzy Cohen January 12, 2015 at 6:56 pm - Reply

Hi Wendy.
      Not medicinal mushrooms. I think they are strong anti-fungals. The compounds (for example, triterpenes and polysacchararides) they release are intended to kill off nearby or threatening fungus and bacteria in the wild so in turn, they help us too.

30. Robin January 12, 2015 at 5:25 am - Reply

Hi Dr. Suzy,
    I don’t know where else to ask this so I thought I would ask here.
    (Am I missing something on your FB page? I don’t see where anyone can post anything other than responses to your posts & no “contact us” on this page?) If I missed where to ask questions I apologize!
    Have you written in your books or articles about your facial skin care routine? I would be great to know what products you suggest and use.
    Thank you!

• Suzy Cohen January 12, 2015 at 6:55 pm - Reply

Hi Robin
      I have thousands of questions coming in from people globally. I ‘turned off’ the wall on my FB page so I could keep the focus of everyone’s comments pertinent to the particular post. Thank you for asking about my facial skin care routine, that is sweet of you (I take it as a compliment 😉
      I use a myriad of different products and hope to one day create my own anti-aging line.
      My routine consists of a gentle cleanser, nothing harsh. Then I spray tonor on. Then a moisturizer. Then undereye moisturizer, specific to fine lines. I alternate brands. But that is it, simple and fast. If I’m going out right afterward, I might put powder all over my face (to take the shine down from the moisturizer), and some mascara and lip gloss or Hugo chapstick stuff. Facially-speaking, some of the favorite brand names of things I use at home include Algenist, Origins (under eye cream) and Dr. Dennis Gross (just his peel pads, it’s a 2 step process using 2 pads). I like Tarte mascara. I also don’t wear make-up a lot, just eye shadow, mascara and powder all over my face. I think that is a key thing. I’ll wear it for TV or some of my videos but daily make up will age you faster. So will sun. When I lay out, I cover my face with a towel. People think I do fake things to my face and my body and shots and surgery and what-not… and I do nothing like that (except color my hair which is super dark brown, almost black and I prefer the chestnut brown). But that’s about it. Less is more. Does this help?

31. Juli January 12, 2015 at 8:25 am - Reply

Hi suzy, I’m your Facebook friend. Anyway, I have all sorts of problem. I’m not sure if this will help but I’m not giving up until I feel better. I ordered the tea that you mention here. I will be sure to tell my parent’s friend about this too. My parent’s friend has a pancreas cancer.

32. Peggy January 12, 2015 at 12:21 pm - Reply

Suzy, This sounds very interesting! I have Type 2 Diabetes and am now trying to control naturally with supplements, herbs, etc. I use your book Diabetes Without Drugs as a handbook– have pages marked w/stickum tabs. Would my 89 year old mother with Dementia in Ass’t Living facility possibly benefit from Reishi liquid (dropper) form? Doesn’t sound like any side effects! Thank you, Peggy Y.

• Suzy Cohen January 12, 2015 at 7:17 pm - Reply

If my mom was 89 and had dementia I’d give her the liquid dropper. But I can’t say what’s right for another person, and especially your mom because she has different genes and takes medicine and has a different background. To my knowledge this is relatively safe and few interactions, but I have to ask you to ask her physician (since I’m not one). Okay, promise.

33. Tina January 12, 2015 at 6:31 pm - Reply

Always love to read your postings and enjoy your visits to The 700 Club! So how much of the extract do you take and for how long? If you take the supplement how much do you take of that and for how long.Do you have a brand you like and trust in supplement form? I do not always have time to make a tea. Thank you for a reply.

• Suzy Cohen January 12, 2015 at 7:15 pm - Reply

Hi Tina 🙂
      I don’t always make the tea either, it’s time consuming and I sometimes travel for book signings and lectures. And conferences to learn more. If you have a brand that you like, just follow the directions on the label because the dosage is based upon the concentration of what’s INSIDE that particular product. If you tolerate it well and have no reactions, I’d try it for 90 days and see how you are feeling after that. I personally like to switch around my adaptogens every few months, so 90 days reishi, then 90 days shisandra, then 90 days ashwagandha, etc. (you can put those words in my search box to read other articles I’ve written about those).

34. Carol Sweatland January 12, 2015 at 10:17 pm - Reply

Thanks so much for this interesting information. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and have been struggling to get my health back for a few years now. I have had improvement by changing my diet….eliminating processed foods and eating leafy greens,healthy fats, spirulina/chlorella. cod liver oil, etc. Even though I have had improvement, I still struggle with incapacitating fatigue which includes taking several rest breaks daily. Recently started kombucha tea and definitely am going to look into this. I’m always looking for ways to get more improvement….appreciate this post..

35. Michael January 13, 2015 at 12:16 am - Reply

thanks for information on natural products, and also for being a person people can trust.blessings

36. Dana January 13, 2015 at 12:50 am - Reply

I found some dried Reishi mushrooms on Amazon. It looks like they are pieces. Would that be OK to use to make the tea? Thank you for all of your info. I have just recently started following you and have learned much. I can’t wait to learn more and feel better!

37. Patti January 13, 2015 at 11:31 pm - Reply

I would love to be able to buy these mushrooms, I just called wholefoods in cherry hill nj and they told me they don’t have them..is there someone u can recommend that I can purchase online from? Thanks for your help!

38. Adrienne January 14, 2015 at 1:04 pm - Reply

Would it be beneficial to use dried Reishi mushrooms?

39. Chaga Todd January 15, 2015 at 3:20 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy! I stumbled across your youtube about the Reishi when searching for any new Chaga videos. I have been a Chaga extract maker since it changed my life back in August of 2012 and have changed many lives with my extract since. I have seen with my own eyes just what the amazing Chaga can do….its a gift from God. I have compiled a ton of information on my site that may be of use to you and others. Feel free to visit!!

40. Rosemary January 16, 2015 at 5:40 pm - Reply

I am very interested in Reishi tea. Can you tell me if this can help someone who has
    nerve issues in the lower back.

41. Sandi January 17, 2015 at 11:32 am - Reply

Currently on chemo for liver mets. Wanted to take milk Thistle but doc is against it. She is very concerned about bacteria in supplements since they are unregulated. I bought the mushroom tea to try. Would like your opinion on bacteria in supplements. Thank you.

• Suzy Cohen January 18, 2015 at 5:24 am - Reply

Dear Sandi
      Dear Sandi You should use the search box to search out my comments and thoughts on intestinal bacteria, probiotics and the microbiome.
      Might want to look at my book on Pancreatic Cancer, there maybe a clinical pearl in that for you since the liver and pancreas sometimes respond to similar natural compounds that don’t interfere with chemo. It just depends which ones, ask your doctor about some of those I included here: http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Pancreatitis-Pancreatic-Cancer-Cohen-ebook/dp/B006GQN89C
      Bless you and Godspeed.

42. […] לאינפורמציה חשובה נוספת באנגלית על פטריות לינצ'י המכונ… […]
    Hebrew to English translation: Another important and informative article on mushrooms.

• Suzy Cohen January 18, 2015 at 5:21 am - Reply

Shalom Yosi and thank you 🙂
      הפיצו את הבשורה אם אתה גר בישראל, יש לי 2 הספרים שלי שתורגמו לעברית. סמים שודדים הוא בחוץ, ובלוטת התריס בריא הוא הבא.

43. Dana January 21, 2015 at 3:17 pm - Reply

I found some dried Reishi mushrooms on Amazon. It looks like they are pieces. Would that be OK to use to make the tea? Thanks.

• Suzy Cohen January 22, 2015 at 1:14 am - Reply

Absolutely, it will cook faster too, maybe just a low simmer for about 30 minutes. Whatever you think. Certainly don’t need 24 hours for chips or strips. I have those too 🙂

44. Fawn Faribault January 24, 2015 at 2:37 am - Reply

Hi Suzy, This is a message that is so far down the messages i don’t know if you will see it. After I listened and watched your video on the Reishi mushroom, I ordered on Amazon. They came today in packages from guess where. China . On the package it says it contains Sulfites. I am extremely hesitant to use . I am planning to return if allowed. Where can I get ones without sulfites. Too bad it didn’t say it had them on site.
    thanks and if anyone else sees my comment I would love response . My email is [email protected]

• Suzy Cohen January 25, 2015 at 12:00 am - Reply

Hi Fawn
      They should not be putting sulfites in it or on it. I would return, or leave a bad comment. Scroll up and down, and see all the links that people recommended for purchase.

45. Sara January 24, 2015 at 3:56 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy,
    Is this tea ok for pregnant and lactating women?
    Sara

46. FAZIA February 6, 2015 at 2:12 pm - Reply

Hello Suzy:
    Thank you for the work you do & generously sharing your knowledge & wisdom.

I brewed a large Reishi for the first time after watching your video. Do you know if the mushroom could be frozen & brewed a second time?
    Next time I’ll get slices!

Thanks.

• Suzy Cohen February 8, 2015 at 2:03 am - Reply

I don’t know if it can be frozen, I just put more water in it and cook it again. On low.

47. Funmi March 1, 2015 at 10:30 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy, can somebody with hypothyroid who is on levothyroxin benefit from this mushroom

48. Shelley Schoen March 16, 2015 at 1:29 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy, I ordered the Reishi tea from Amazon and have been drinking one cup every morning for about 3 weeks. Just wondering how many cups is the suggested dosage. FYI- I have Hashimotos(diagnosed 24 years ago) and high blood pressure. Thanks for all your wonderful articles!

• Suzy Cohen March 17, 2015 at 5:03 am - Reply

If you’re tolerating it well and doing well, I’d stick with that. It’s one of those slow items that rejuvenates you.

49. David Reyes May 8, 2015 at 6:53 pm - Reply

Suzy,
    Your information is great.
    It’s good to see sensible responses as well. Have you ever run across this website? The Immune System and Cancer:

A Weakened Immune System Leads To Cancer… A Strong Immune System Seeks Out And Destroys Cancer Cells

– See more at: http://www.cancerfightingstrategies.com/immune-system-and-cancer.html#sthash.ofPIhgaO.dpuf

They have interesting information along with their http://www.gethealthyagain.com site.

God Bless!

50. Jane July 4, 2015 at 7:59 pm - Reply

Suzy,

I have been taking reishi extract capsule from Orevida for 3 weeks now. About a week ago I started to get rash or hive on my legs, arms, and body. I suspect it is from the reishi. If it is, I read that this is normal for sensitive individuals. This is just a away of detoxifying. Is this correct? Also, I am starting taking astaxanthin about 3 days ago. Do you know if reishi interacts with astaxanthin?

I am grateful that you are doing questions and answers to our concerns.

Thanks you,

• Suzy Cohen July 4, 2015 at 11:24 pm - Reply

I don’t think that reishi interacts with astaxanthin. I do like both of those but if you have a rash I would stop the reishi for sure. I don’t believe that is detoxification, it’s some kind of allergy. Return it.

51. Jeff August 3, 2015 at 5:28 am - Reply

I am very impressed by your clear and informed knowledge of Reishi as well as the fact that you encourage people to make a tea from fruiting bodies.
    I have just written a White Paper on medicinal mushroom quality which I believe you will find informative. (this is not a commercial pitch nor am I trying to speak to your audience)
    Regards