What’s in ThyroScript Thyroid Formula and Why

What’s in ThyroScript and why?
Thyroid hormone supports cardiac output, a healthy heart rate, your respiratory rate, and basal metabolic rate. Problems here may cause you to feel cold, fatigued or hold on to weight. ThyroScript provides supportive nutrients for a healthy thyroid gland and improve tissue levels of thyroid hormone.

DPPIV. ThyroScript contains a naturally-occurring digestive enzyme that humans make called Dipeptidyl peptidase 4 or DPPIV that reduces absorption of gluten and casein which may harm the thyroid gland, especially in autoimmune disorders.*

Iodine. This mineral is a necessary for formation of and activation of thyroid hormone. There is less than 1 milligram in ThyroScript.*

L-tyrosine. This is a necessary amino acid and it’s a component of both T4 and T3 formation.

Ashwagandha. This is a an adaptogen which supports adrenal gland health and improves thyroid hormone levels.

Minerals. Several nutrients are also necessary for conversion of T4 to T3, including the minerals selenium, zinc, and copper.

Selenium. This is helpful in reducing auto antibodies to the thyroid gland.

Vitamin B12. insufficiency appears to interfere with the activity of thyroid hormones. We use only the biologically active form methylcobalamin.

Mullein leaf. This possesses antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. It has anti-inflammatory properties which could help reduce inflammation of the thyroid gland.

Oxyphyte. Conversion of T4 to T3 can be inhibited by heavy metal toxicity and lipid peroxidation. The proprietary antioxidant blend called Oxyphyte is in ThyroScript and is intended to counterbalance this inhibition.* Among other compounds, Oxyphyte contains grape seed extract and polygonum root extract.

For more information and FAQ on ThyroScript, please click here.

* These comments have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

2015-05-20T00:50:46+00:00

54 Comments

1. Amanda May 22, 2015 at 4:02 pm - Reply

Just purchased Suzy thyroid book!!
    So much info… ❤ It!
    My daughter and I both have hashimotos… Can we take thyroid script and Suzy’s supplement ?

Noticed (pg 155) supplement to avoid is ashwagandha BUT in thyroid script??

Why is beta glucan also on the avoid list for hashi patients!!!

• Suzy Cohen May 22, 2015 at 6:40 pm - Reply

If you’re stable you can try even half a capsule to start, many people with Hashi do well but you should ask doc for approval. Ashwagandha is a nightshade, it supports adrenal function and thyroid production.
      Some of the strong immune boosters like beta glucan drive your immune system faster so they make you attack yourself stronger.

• john May 22, 2015 at 11:22 pm - Reply

Lately my hands have started to shake. It’s not noticeable when I’m lifting something heaver than a cup of coffee but it can be embarrassing when I’m trying to direct a spoon full of something into my mouth. Is this something diet related or just a natural age related syndrome ?

• Dawn June 2, 2015 at 1:34 pm - Reply

Would love to see a reply to john’s question above regarding hands shaking. I have experienced this as well. Does this mean we are now making too much T4? Going from hypo to hyper?

• Suzy Cohen June 2, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Dawn, it could be too much caffeine, too much thyroid, yes going from hypo to hyper, it could be dopamine, B12, folate, iron, tyrosine, or some neuromuscular problem. Or an essential fatty acid deficiency or mineral deficiency. Or other… list goes on.
            I don’t know what it is for each person. It’s kind of like saying “fatigue” to me. There are dozens if not hundreds of causes for it, it’s a generic symptom just like hands shaking, usually nothing serious so just ask your doctor to test you for nutrient deficiencies and do an essential fatty acid profile. They know how to do this, easy stuff for any good doc. Let me know what you find out.

• Suzy Cohen June 2, 2015 at 5:06 pm - Reply

Hi John
          I don’t know exactly but a doctor should be able to tease out if this is the beginning of Parkinson’s or simply too much thyroid or some other neuromuscular abnormality, perhaps related to a nutritional deficiency. Hand tremors sometimes respond to essential fatty acids taken daily, there was a study correlating them with B12 deficiency (careful what kind of B12 you buy, I am not talking about cyanocobalamin here), and also dopamine levels affect this. I hope these are enough clues for your doctor to determine your particular cause. Print this if you’d like and take it in. Let me know how you do (and no, it’s not a “natural age related syndrome.”

• Staci July 31, 2015 at 8:11 pm - Reply

aha! i have hashi’s with a benign thyroid nodule and taking naturethroid but this may shed some light on why I’ve had such a horrible reaction to beta glucan one of my docs recommended for me … gave me the worst migraine headaches in my life and I never get those. Even stranger to me is the beta glucan products like avemor which are supposed to help my immune system …. i also have RA and considered taking the avemor a beta glucan supplement because of this pubmed study showed it helped with Orencia a biologic my RA doc almost put me on (I’m on xeljanz instead though – jury is still out this drug as I’m not tolerating it well unless i take 2xweek)…. anyway, not to go to far off on a tangent i landed on this page because I’m still trying to figure out whether iodine is is helpful for me …. i have one dr saying yes and one saying no … but both say need to take the naturethroid and keep my thyroid underacting because of the risk of cancer with the nodule …. and doesn’t iodine do more than just help your thyroid? and not sure I can take this supplement?

• Suzy Cohen August 1, 2015 at 5:07 am - Reply

Molds contain certain substances including beta glucans. Makes me wonder if you have had a mold exposure like living in a water-damaged building/home or somewhere like Florida. People with mold exposure don’t feel well taking beta glucan.
          As for ThyroScript, I don’t know if it’s right for you. You can ponder it for a while if you like. There’s hardly any iodine in it at all.

• Tawni March 5, 2016 at 10:25 pm

wondering if it is okay to take thyroscript and biotin. I have quite the problem with my hair falling out and thinning.

• Suzy Cohen March 6, 2016 at 12:08 am

Yes there’s no problem with that combination, it’s a good idea.

2. Ann May 23, 2015 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Can one safely take thyroscript if I have no thyroid?

• Suzy Cohen May 23, 2015 at 3:59 pm - Reply

Many people do but ask your doc if she/he minds. It supports adrenal function.

3. Felicia May 24, 2015 at 3:47 am - Reply

Dear Suzy
    I do not mean to gross you out but
    I’m a 31 year old lady who can grow a beard as fast as any guy
    This problem has been getting slowly worst since I was around 21, even though I have tried lots of things ( as far as natural stuff ) to balance this stuff out and still with failing methods
    I still study on to see if I can bring myself to a solution. Even though I have been told this won’t go away unless i take some kind of prescription medicine I do not believe it. Do you believe that thyro script would help or hinder? Or do you know of anything else that would be beneficial. I have resolved not to take any thing prescription/unnatural got myself into this naturally surely there is a resolution to get myself out naturally. would love to hear your thoughts on this and appreciate your time Thanks Felicia

• Suzy Cohen May 24, 2015 at 5:36 pm - Reply

Hi Felicia, we don’t have any studies on ThyroScript and it’s ability to stop hair growth but I think it would do the opposite, that is to say it might increase hair growth as thyroid hormone levels improve. The situation you are dealing with is more likely related to testosterone, progesterone, estrogen or DHEA imbalances.

• Felicia May 25, 2015 at 4:18 am - Reply

Thanks So much!
        I will continue to look into this further
        Have a great week

4. Debbie Stevens May 24, 2015 at 4:49 pm - Reply

Does ThyroScript contain magnesium?

5. Rita May 25, 2015 at 1:28 am - Reply

I have Hashimoto’s and take 1gr/65mg Nature-Throid
    Would thyro-script be appropriate supplement

• Suzy Cohen May 25, 2015 at 4:12 am - Reply

I’m not sure. Some people with Hashi do exceptionally well, and others don’t. The reason is that (with Hashi) there’s an erratic fluctuation in thyroid hormone (it’s up and down) and so until it is chronically low this product won’t be helpful. If you are chronically low and supported on Nature-Throid it may be okay (maybe half a capsule daily to try) but before you do anything ask your doctor and see what she/he thinks.

6. Irina May 26, 2015 at 12:25 am - Reply

Dear Suzy,
    Would it be safe to take the supplements, containing DPP4 for people with Diabetes, who takes the DPPIV inhibitors?
    What are the consequences of taking the DPPIV enzyme for a long time, by healthy people.
    Is there any caution should be warranted for people with impaired glucose tolerance?

• Suzy Cohen May 26, 2015 at 7:54 pm - Reply

Dear Irina
      1. No, I’d avoid because it negates the medicine.
      2. We make it as human beings, it’s a natural enzyme so we have it as long as we live.
      3. Not sure, DPPIV doesn’t cause glucose tolerance problems, we make it as humans, we need it, but if you’re on a DPPIV inhibitor drug, then obviously avoid.
      PS: I don’t believe in those types of drugs, they have side effects, seriously you can’t shut down a natural god-given enzyme and expect to have optimal health.

7. Ronda May 27, 2015 at 2:24 am - Reply

Hi Suzy, Can I take ThyroScript if I am allergic to iodine?

• Suzy Cohen May 28, 2015 at 5:59 pm - Reply

No, because it contains a small amount of iodine.

8. Sue May 28, 2015 at 12:41 pm - Reply

Suzy,
    My husband has a goiter on his thyroid, is it ok for him to take Thyroscript?

• Suzy Cohen May 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm - Reply

Ask doctor, please relay all the ingredients on the label so he can make an informed decision.

9. Charmaine May 28, 2015 at 9:42 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy,
    I started on Thyroscript a few months ago, and was just recently (finally) diagnosed and started on Nature Throid ( will likely switch to WP Thyroid). My ND approved your supplement, but I am not sure if it is okay to take it at the same time. I see calcium phosphate in the “other ingredients”. I am reading “Thyroid Healthy” and trying to get the best results. Many thanks for all of your information!
    Charmaine

• Suzy Cohen May 29, 2015 at 11:26 pm - Reply

Hi Charmaine
      Take the Nature-Throid in the morning, upon arising. Take ThyroScript at lunch (yes, with food is fine). There are more clarifications in FAQ (also you may want to start with 1/2 capsule, or 1 capsule if you take medicine, or whatever your physician suggested). ThyroScript enhances the effect of thyroid medicine. Here’s FAQ section: http://scriptessentials.com/faqs/ (this will answer more questions that arise).

• Charmaine May 29, 2015 at 11:47 pm - Reply

Many thanks for your response. I read your FAQs again and your comments about the reasons for no animal glandulars in ThyroScript. Do you feel the same regarding medications? Do you prefer the “synthetic” medications over ones like Nature – Throid? It is challenging to evaluate the pros and cons of medications!

• Suzy Cohen May 30, 2015 at 12:05 am - Reply

I totally understand.
          Glandulars in the medications (such as Armour and Nature Throid) tend to work much batter than pure T4 drugs because the glandulars offer you the natural T3 that your cells are starving for.
          Supplements with glandulars are NOT offering you T3, usually T1 or T2, not really that useful in creating T3.
          As for synthetic, pure T4 as in Synthroid, it’s sometimes preferred in people with Hashimoto’s (sometimes, not always) because it does not trigger autoimmunity as much. It really depends on the patient. I hope this helps clarify 🙂

10. Laura May 31, 2015 at 9:17 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy-
    I just listened to your interview with Jonathan Landsman. Thank you for doing that.

I’m not sure if my thyroid is functional or not to be honest but always wonder. I don’t have the money to go out of network to get testing done either.

However I have reason to believe my adrenals are not well. I do have PTSD.

I did have a hormone saliva test done some time ago and my cortisol levels came back normal. But I don’t know. If I’m still having PTSD symptoms wouldn’t that mean I probably have some sort of adrenal function issue?

Anyway, I’m wondering if this supplement would be helpful even if something is not wrong with my thyroid. I know the thyroid depends on the adrenals though and that’s why I’m interested in possibly trying this. But will it do more damage if someone doesn’t need it?

I’m also nervous about the iodine. I know it doesn’t have a lot in the supplement. But have heard horror stories from people who’ve taken the iodine tincture. Is the iodine in your supplement from food?

Thank you again for all the info you put out there.

• Suzy Cohen June 1, 2015 at 4:09 am - Reply

Have you looked into adrenal adaptogens, for example, holy basil or eleuthero? Have you ever read about hops or stinging nettle? I’m not sure if these would be right for you but maybe, please ask your doctor if anything here could help.

11. Charmaine June 6, 2015 at 12:02 am - Reply

Thank you again for all of your great information! I believe you are helping so many people!

12. Sherri June 16, 2015 at 4:52 pm - Reply

Suzy

I’m looking for an alternative to my thyroid medication. Synthroid was uneffective and since I started taking Armour 2 years ago my hair has radically changed (falling out, not growing in places, dry and graying). As a woman it’s greatly affecting my self esteem. Could this product replace thyroid medication? I’m happy to say my antibodies are well controlled through diet changes. Now it’s just getting the thyroid happy again. Would love your feedback.

Unending thanks for your work!!

• Suzy Cohen June 16, 2015 at 5:27 pm - Reply

You can try it with or without medication, just start with low doses (even half capsule) and take with food.

13. angela June 19, 2015 at 2:58 pm - Reply

how/where do I buy ThyroScript please

14. Tony Bowen June 23, 2015 at 10:53 pm - Reply

Hello Suzy. Thanks for all of your articles. I’ve been reading them all day today. Was introduced about you through the 700 Club on TBN. I have chronic long term Lyme’s Disease. Let me just say I’ve been through the gammit of supplements & some medications as well. I’m currently on a regiment of CBD Hemp Oil along with citicoline & probiotics and Vit D3. Not doing much better though. I know you can’t make any specific claims due to the good ‘ol FDA. LOL!

I have low thyroid function with swollen thyroid gland & 4 nodules. They’re not cancerous though. I read your article on Babesia coinfection and I’m pretty sure that I have Babesia. I’m pretty sure that I need to be on a thyroid supplement even though my doctors say not. I’ve pretty much stopped going to them anyhow because they’ve not helped me whatsoever.

Which of your supplements would you suggest for treating Lyme’s and all the other junk that comes with it? I think the Mag Focus would help me tremendously because I have bad insomnia. I know the disease is also in my CNS. I have terrible physical, mental, and emotional symptoms. I’ve not become bed ridden yet and I’m trying my best to avoid being that way too.

I also have viral overload because my herpes outbreaks have become more frequent too. I think I have candida problems too because my tongue has been solid white for a few years. The doctors aren’t going to help me so I have to take my health into my own hands. Looking for any ideas or suggestions please. Thanks again!

• Suzy Cohen June 24, 2015 at 3:44 am - Reply

Tony you’re note breaks my heart. I TOTALLY and COMPLETELY get this!
      All I can talk about is personal experience, and what seems to help Sam is a combination of Tindamax 500 mg BID and Valtrex 500 mg BID. You can ask your doctor to see if he’ll try this on you. Seems to help with the neuro stuff, but not right away, takes about a week. Japanese Knotweed is another option that he takes as well as pycnogenol. And other stuff. Here’s a hug, HOLD ON, please please please. Pat was wonderful to give me so much air time. I wish I could go on again and just talk about Lyme… you should write them and ask.

15. Nicole Crsne June 28, 2015 at 8:27 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy!

I love your website & refer to it frequently 🙂 Your before/after thyroid optimization pictures inspire me!
    I was recently diagnosed with chronic lyme & also have low thyroid. I have tried both armour & nature Throid & can’t seem to get regulated & it hasn’t seemed to help relieve my fatigue at all. I’m wondering if you think people with immune compromised health conditions (lyme etc) should be taking a synthetic T4/T3 combo…would it be a better option?

• Suzy Cohen June 29, 2015 at 6:17 am - Reply

Thank you Nicole. Lyme and low thyroid go together. Definitely T4/T3 combo over plain T4. Sometimes people need pure T3 only. You may not respond to thyroid until your adrenals are corrected and balanced, hypoadrenia is common with lyme. Please refer to that chapter in Thyroid Healthy book for my adrenal recommendations.

16. Frances Guerrero July 6, 2015 at 5:57 am - Reply

I started taking the Thyroscript (bottle and half so far) to help both my adrenals and thyroid get back into shape.
    MUCH MUCH MUCH to my surprise the pain in my hands have disappeared. I take three in the morning because two were not enough for me to feel any different. Do you have any explanation for this? Vagus nerve restored perhaps? Feeling more energetic but still have a constipation issue. Thank you so much for sharing all your wisdom and keeping it fun.

• Suzy Cohen July 6, 2015 at 5:12 pm - Reply

That’s great Frances. Your body is getting into better balance, muscles and nervous system can be affected by hormones.

17. Julie Morrison July 13, 2015 at 3:24 pm - Reply

Dear Suzy, Could you please list the recommended tests (bloodwork, etc.) and the appropriate ranges that the results should be in? I have been on Armour Thyroid 60mg for about a year. I’m thinking I should go back in and check up and see if all of my levels are where they should be. I read your Thyroid book and gleaned from it the tests that I needed to have. I was very fortunate that my doctor, who is not familiar with all things thyroid, was willing to listen to me regarding Armour thyroid. I sort of self-diagnosed myself and took the findings (and what I could figure out from your book regarding the tests I should have) to her and went from there. While I feel so much better, I still have some hypothyroid symptoms, ie.: low basal temperature, hoarse voice after a few minutes of talking, weight gain (even though I walk, work in the yard, eat pretty healthy). I take Thyroscript at lunch with your Vitamin D3. I am on no other medications besides the Armour. I have often wondered if I should have more iodine. Before I started Armour, I did read about iodine and after taking small increments of it for a few weeks, my eyebrows began to grow back. Sorry this is so long, I am just trying to give you an overview. I am very thankful I have a doctor who is trying to be helpful, but unfortunately, I am having to give her what tools of information that I can. I live in a small town outside of Atlanta and can’t find an ND. So, back to my original question 🙂 What tests should I have done and the appropriate ranges the results should be in and should I have my iron tested again.
    Thank you for all that you do and for your time.
    Sincerely, Julie

• Suzy Cohen July 13, 2015 at 5:38 pm - Reply

Dear Julie
      I am happy things are on the right track for you. The tests and ranges are on page 53 I believe, in Thyroid Healthy which you said you have. There’s a box with everything listed. I’m not sure NDs are legally allowed to practice in Georgia or not, they are not permitted to practice in every single state as crazy as that sounds, it’s true.

18. Donna July 26, 2015 at 7:37 am - Reply

Hi Suzy,

I have been dx with hypothyroidism and take synthroid and ThyroScript. I also take R Lipoic Acid and have recently read it could have a negative effect on my thyroid medication. Any truth to that?

Thanks!
    ~ Donna

• Suzy Cohen July 26, 2015 at 9:02 pm - Reply

Yes, it (your lipoic acid) can reduce thyroid production if you take too high of a dose.

19. Donna July 26, 2015 at 7:24 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy,

I have been dx with hypothyroidism and am currently taking 25mcg Synthroid as well as 2 capsules of ThyroScript per day. I recently read that R-Lipoic Acid (I’m taking 300 mg per day) can have a negative affect on thyroid meds. Is there any truth to this?

Also, I have noticed a great deal of hair loss. I had blood work done and my doctor found I was very low on progesterone but good on estrogen. He prescribed progesterone and told me my hair would begin to grow in thicker. That was 6 months ago and I’ve seen no improvement. Could this all be connected??

I look forward to your comments. Thank you!

~ Donna

• Suzy Cohen July 26, 2015 at 8:48 pm - Reply

Lipoic acid does reduce thyroid.
      Reduced thyroid does cause hair loss.
      If hair loss is in fact tied to the hypothyroidism then it would not respond to progesterone, so “yes” to answer your question.

20. Donna July 26, 2015 at 9:16 pm - Reply

Thank you for taking the time to respond. So, in your opinion, should I stop taking the Lipoic acid?

Thanks again…I appreciate you!

~Donna

• Suzy Cohen July 26, 2015 at 9:20 pm - Reply

I would and evaluate how you feel over the next month, but you can do as you wish. I want to make sure you understand you are making the decisions for yourself with your own practitioners as I cannot advise 😉

• Donna July 26, 2015 at 9:33 pm - Reply

I totally understand. Thanks again for your time.

21. Rose April 3, 2016 at 12:14 am - Reply

Hi Suzy,
    I’m highly allergic to fish/shellfish, codeine and mushrooms.
    Is there anything in ThyroScript that could be a problem for me?

Thank you!