My 2 Cents About Copper Worth A Million Bucks

The other day I was eating lunch with a friend and colleague and he mentioned that copper can increase the risk of cancer. This was not the first time I had heard something scary about copper. Last year, another friend (a medical doctor) also mentioned copper’s association with cancer, especially hormonal types. How could something so integral to our body be so bad I wondered?

I researched it. Just like I suspected, copper is essential to good health. We don’t need a lot of copper, but certain healthy amounts are vital and essential to our health and well-being. It’s all about balance!

Copper is required for the formation of about 50 enzymes and it’s needed for our transporters, which shuttle hormones and neurotransmitters all over your body. Copper protects the lining of blood vessels and myelin. It supports energy production.

Did you hear me? Energy!  I think one of the most important facts about copper is how it supports the healthy functioning of two major enzymes in your body, one is SOD and the other is DAO.

SOD = superoxide dismutase: This enzyme repairs cells and keeps them from getting killed by superoxide! SOD protects mitochondria, and has anti-cancer activity. Without adequate levels of the enzyme SOD you will likely get cardiovascular disease. Copper helps increase SOD.

DAO = diamine oxidase: This enzyme breaks down histamine from all the foods you eat. There are hundreds of foods that contain histamine (it can cause migraines by the way). DAO is your body’s natural anthistamine. Copper increases activity and functioning.

Here’s a little known fact that has kept many people dragging all day long, in search of the next cup of coffee or soda. It’s about fatigue. How many of you suffer with chronic fatigue? If you have iron deficiency anemia that doesn’t respond to iron supplementation, and you’re ferritin remains suppressed, you might be copper deficient. You need iron to make hemoglobin, the main component of red blood cells and you cannot absorb iron without copper. Long story short, copper deficiency is sometimes at the heart of resistant iron deficiency anemia. An “RBC copper” blood test can reveal this.  I am a stickler about your test being RBC (or even WBC) because a common mistake is often made by physicians. They often measure “serum” or “plasma” levels. Who cares what is out there? Neither the serum or the plasma portion of your blood contains any clotting factors or red blood cells. Evaluating copper in the plasma or serum doesn’t give you an indication of what’s inside the cell, where the clotting factors are. That’s what you NEED to know. If you’re spending money for your lab test, you have to do it properly, insist if you have to. Blame it on me if you want to, I’ve got your back!

I am trying to teach you how to derive an accurate evaluation of your intracellular copper levels which will prevent misdiagnosis. If you are tested improperly, and you get a clot, it could cost you your life. Let’s pretend for a moment, that you get the serum copper test I told you not to bother with. Let’s say the serum copper is normal or even high. Serum copper reflects an inflammatory condition in the body (which most people have). This inflammation could be due to an autoimmune disease, arthritis, cancer, thyroid imbalances, gastrointestinal disorders, anything. This elevated serum copper could be happening while you have a full-blown deficiency inside your cells. Even your heart cells (heart muscle). You may be deficient in the most important part of your body, your cells but that plasma copper will come back as normal or even high. This is why proper testing matters.

Let me divulge on a tangent about warfarin, the most popular medication used for anti-coagulation (blood thinning) to prevent strokes. Warfarin goes by many popular brand names around the world including Coumadin or Jantoven in the United States, Marevan in Australia, Uniwarfin in India and there may be others. Some people call warfarin “rat poison” because it’s the active agent in some rodenticides. That wouldn’t prevent me from taking it if I had to, you see … you can take any drug and turn it into a rodenticide if you really want to!  Regardless, my article isn’t about weird uses of prescription drugs, it’s about copper, and how a copper deficiency can lead to thicker blood or blood clots. Most doctors don’t test you for that, they go straight to their prescription pad.

Warfarin may be a precursor to Alzheimer’s. We may see this one day come to light with studies. I’m telling you now. I always tell you years before mainstream media because I care. I am telling you this because warfarin is a drug mugger of vitamin K.  That’s why you have to avoid leafy greens and salads while on warfarin, you have to keep vitamin K down. (You must follow these directions from your doctor, I agree that if you’re on a drug, you need to be careful and avoid the drug interactions).  The drug WORKS through this mechanism of depleting K.
But here’s where it all goes awry. Vitamin K is crucial for sphingomyelin and helping you remember things. Before you take warfarin, find out whether or not you have a copper deficiency. Low levels in the cell cause clotting problems. The BIG DEAL NOW is to test properly! Most docs test serum copper levels. Who cares? It is almost always normal causing you to be dismissed.
In comes warfarin to help reduce clot formation!
I’m saying you need to ask your physician to measure copper levels for you, and make sure they are intracellular (either WBC, RBC or look on your CardioION test if you did one).

Symptoms of copper deficiency include:
Grey hair, or loss of color to hair
Pale skin
Skin lesions or dryness
Dizziness or weakness
High blood pressure
High plasma cholesterol
Glucose intolerance or diabetes
Poor immunity
Higher risk of clot formation
Shortness of breath
Malabsorption issues
Low white blood cells, leukemia and other blood irregularities

8 Facts You Should Know About Copper

#1 Zinc supplements lower copper levels. If you’ve been consuming zinc supplements for a long time then you might be copper deficient, and vice versa. Ask your doctor about the zinc to copper ratio, but it’s about ten to one.

#2 Elevated copper can cause neurological problems, possibly schizophrenia, phobias and panic attacks however the research isn’t clear. This is a good time to teach you that some of you make large amounts of “pyrroles.” In excess, pyrroles irreversibly latch onto zinc and vitamin B6 and take it out of the body via urine. Once zinc is depleted, copper levels rise. So is it the copper that causes the problem, or the high pyrroles? If you love someone with a mental illness, you can have their pyrroles measured with a simple urine test.

#3 Copper is part of a transport system in your body that protects the inner lining of your blood vessels. Deficiencies will make your vessels lose elasticity and rupture easily.

#4 Copper is needed to make melanin so deficiencies are often seen in people with premature grey hair. If you’ve suddenly experienced grey hair and it’s not due to the natural aging process, it may be low copper. Supplementation with copper may be necessary BUT ONLY if you are tested first, and ONLY if you are deficient.  Remember, to test properly, you want an RBC copper level, not a serum level.

#5 Cardiac arrhythmias can result from low copper status.

#6  Copper helps you make elastin and collagen and these are components of bone and connective tissues. Copper may be useful for osteoporosis.

#7 Resveratrol supplements are drug muggers of copper.

#8 Copper can help you manage cholesterol. Deficiencies of copper are known to contribute to high cholesterol. Unfortunately, many people are given cholesterol-reducing medications instead of copper supplements. You have to find the underlying cause, not just drug everything.  It’s a simple blood test.
Feel free to leave me a comment below if you enjoyed this article.

I’ve ADDED  NEW CONTENT 3-7-15
Many of you are asking me what it means if you’re copper is high in your serum, and deficient in your cells (like… your RBC copper is low).
So this means that the copper is present (and maybe high) in your body but you’re not utilizing it well… hence, it’s not going into the cell.  This occurs frequently with people because the copper must be BOUND to a protein and toted around your body. It is bound to a protein that we call a “transporter.”

There are two main copper-binding proteins:
Ceruloplasmin
Metallothionein

Copper must be bound and transported within the body using one of these proteins.  If you are deficient in either, you may have high copper in the plasma or serum, and low copper in your cells.

Now, one more thing to answer some of your questions below in the thread. If your transport proteins are low, the copper will build up in the brain, liver and reproductive organs.  You don’t want to randomly supplement. You want to evaluate levels of these biomarkers, and look at clinical picture. Remember what I said above, high copper is seen in many women with reproductive cancers. Copper toxicity is something to look out for, so don’t go randomly supplementing just because you think you are deficient. Test, it’s not that hard, then you know for sure.  The enzyme SOD is involved too, superoxide dismutase, but that is a whole other article.

2015-03-07T07:03:32+00:00

236 Comments

1. Joyce March 7, 2015 at 8:06 am - Reply

I had an aneurysm in the base of my brain. This killed my mother and my aunts had the same thing but it was found before it was too late. When the doctor found this in my brain, the same day I read an article by Dr Mark Sircus on copper and it’s role in brain bleeds. I started to take a low dose immediately which I purchased at the Vitamin Store. The aneursym was just a tiny bit too small to put a coil in so they said it was safer to watch it until it would grow….which they assured me it would. That was almost seven years ago and I have an MRI each year. To their utter amazement, the aneursym has even shrunk. They said they had never seen anything like it. I take copper every day. It has saved my life.

2. Sandi Cornez March 7, 2015 at 8:09 am - Reply

Suzy, thank you for your helpful posts. I appreciate learning from you and I appreciate your sincere authenticity in serving people to keep them healthy and make wise choices.

Best,
    Sandi Cornez
    Health and Wellness Educator

3. Andree March 7, 2015 at 8:27 am - Reply

Hi this is so interesting on many fronts. I have amongst other health issues SOD, DAO and MAO mutations which are causing me Mitochondria and histamine issues and also I am at risk from blood clots with the added issue that I am not able to take Warfrin type medication due to not being able to metabolise them properly.
    So if I understand you right it may be that having my copper levels checked and if found to be low taking some copper may be an around answer? Thank you

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 3:00 am - Reply

Maybe just increase ceruloplasm levels naturally, it’s the transporter. I need to write another article as a follow-up! Wow there are a ton of questions. I have the SOD mutation too.

4. Julia Gray March 7, 2015 at 8:31 am - Reply

Dear Suzy,

Could you please make a comprehensive list of labs for people to request so we can just hand it to our MDs? Then we wouldn’t have to worry about MDs ordering the wrong labs. I’d never heard of a Reverse T3 lab before your youtube videos. It turned out to be critical. There are a lot of deaf ears in medicine!

Thanks,
    Julia

5. Jocelyn Barcenes March 7, 2015 at 8:35 am - Reply

Thank you Suzy for once again providing such a rich source of information! I suffer from graves, hashimotos, and RA. I have major anxiety, panic, and mood swings. Where can I learn more about these pyrolles? Sounds interesting and would love to get tested! Thank you for all your hard work and research!

6. Sharon March 7, 2015 at 8:48 am - Reply

My husband has an aneurysm (4.8). I am giving him Standard Process Chezyn which contains 5 mg. of iron, 10 mg. of zinc and 0.2 mg. of copper. He’s had blood tests done but not the kind you recommend. He won’t do another test for at least a year. Will it hurt to continue to give him this without checking the way you say to? I’m also giving him calcium flouride (Hyland’s tissue salts) daily. I’ve read that they will help relaxed conditions in the body which I believe is like what an aneurysm is. If you’re not familiar with tissue or cell salts, read The Biochemic Handbook. It’s quite interesting. The Mag Phos (Magnesium Phosphate) tissue salts from Hylands has stopped irregular heartbeats for many people I know over the last 30 years.
    If you have a moment, could you advise if you think that amount of copper will be harmful without a proper test?
    Sharon

7. Wendy March 7, 2015 at 8:58 am - Reply

If RBC copper is low but serum copper is normal, does one need to supplement copper or eat copper rich foods? How can one get more copper into the RBC’s?

8. ebrahim rowghani March 7, 2015 at 9:02 am - Reply

it is a very informative note.information about copper is very little.thanks

9. Rosemary March 7, 2015 at 9:02 am - Reply

Hi Suzy,

Yet another very interesting, easy to read article, thank you!

If I was low on copper and I had the copper coil inserted would that give me an adequate amount back into my body?

Thanks
    Rose

10. Trisha March 7, 2015 at 9:27 am - Reply

Suzy,

Very interesting & informative! My serum iron level is WNL, however,
    I was suffering debilitating fatigue,
    & incurred two episodes of dizziness.

My Ferriten levels have run low for some twenty years. I finally realized that IT was inducing my extreme fatigue.

I am now taking two capsules daily of a quality iron supplement that contains a total of 85 mg of iron. It has been a near miracle, however, I suffer EVERY time I drop the dosage down to one capsule (42.5 mg). It seems I just am NOT absorbing iron well.

Meanwhile I’ve heard from a couple of sources that a Ferriten level of 90-110 is ideal, whereas I have NOT been able to elevate my Ferriten level past 63 or 68. I was suffering greatly as it was when it was down to 43. Years ago (when I was much younger) I had levels of 28 and 37.

Could it be that I’m possibly running low in copper? I don’t seem to have any of
    the symptoms that you cited, however,
    I clearly need a daily iron supplement to just function! I know iron can cause free radicals, which is why in part I have tried to cut back on my 85 mg of daily iron – which I only started last June (9 months ago), but I take a downward spiral every time I do! My diet is decent & I don’t consume fast food.

I am open to any tips. I follow your work and thank you for your fine work, contribution, and the impact you are having on people’s lives like myself!

In Appreciation, Trisha, RN

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 3:04 am - Reply

Have you tried betaine supplements? It’s digestive acid. You take it with food. That’s what helped me get my ferritin up from approx 34 to 97.

• Sharon March 16, 2015 at 5:48 am - Reply

Try taking a hydrochloric acid supplement with your food along with some other food digestive enzymes. Neo Life makes some good ones and their hydrochloric acid supplement is known as Beta Gest. It’s wonderful. You absolutely cannot digest iron, calcium or protein without enough hcl (hydrochloric acid). Your stomach should produce it but MANY people don’t produce enough and especially as we get older we produce less. Also, stress of any kind, even an arguement or illness, etc., will interfere with the production of it. The sympotoms are the same for too much as they are for not enough and usually we don’t have enough. If you are not metabolizing your iron, that is a sure sign. Infants can even have the same problem as it is a congenital problem and if the mother doesn’t have enough then the baby won’t. That child will probably go one to have allergies.

11. JennyAnyCat March 7, 2015 at 9:44 am - Reply

I have been ill and exhausted with low body temp for four decades (35 degrees C at the maximum, often dropping lower with adrenal exhaustion. Body temp should be 37) – eventually I discovered I was hypothyroid. T4 useless. NDT better – but this article chimes with my hair disappearing over the decades and changing colour – my hair when I was healthy was (when sunlight hit it) that lovely mahogany that one sees when opening a horse chestnut for the first time and separating it from its husk – and it has been a distressing shade of beige for at least three decades – and it was thick and lustrous and has been thin and disappearing for around 4 decades, most particularly on the top of my head – and I have been persistently and repeatedly anaemic for four decades – and even iron supplements haven’t restored my energy.
    Our doctors most definitely won’t do the blood tests you recommend – so how do we proceed, I wonder? ‘By eye’ I suppose – taking note of the measurements we can take (temp, bp, hair loss) and perhaps taking supplements….? Any advice gratefully received – even if I can’t grow my hair back (missing over half my head – such a horrible, permanent humiliation to a woman) if I could get some energy to move around the house and do vital, basic chores, I would be so grateful!

• Sharon March 16, 2015 at 5:53 am - Reply

First of all, get a new doctor. If that is impossible, try taking a good kelp supplement. Naturessunshine makes a good safe one and follow the directions on the bottle. It should help you. Go to naturessunshine.com and go to the A-Z shopping and type in k. It will bring up everything they have that starts with k. They are a very reliable company.
      Good luck!

12. Naomi March 7, 2015 at 9:46 am - Reply

Hi Suzy,

Where do you recommend being able to purchase a RBC copper level lab from. I checked with My Med Lab, Any Lab Test Now, and Direct Labs and none of them offer the RBC copper level just a serum or plasma level. Thanks – Naomi

13. Leona March 7, 2015 at 9:55 am - Reply

Is the copper in supplements ok? I hadn’t checked for it, but I will. Also is there a good overall supplement that you would recommend? I have a cabinet full of supplements that I tried over the years, self- treating myself, and reading natural health magazines, But it is hard for me to swallow ,so I would like to find a good liquid one. I am glad that I found your Web-site to guide me. Thank you. Leona

14. Jan March 7, 2015 at 9:56 am - Reply

Cronic fatigue twice..first from glandular fever only picked up 10 yrs later from second time due from Ross river..from gp dealing with my heart murmurs from a a car who drove into me in shop. Yes it’s a long story now nearly 60 yrs another maybe fatigue. I had b12 which helped when with Ross river and often need top up. Doctor now say from blood test b12 ok ..I gave up over years with doctors and went natural therapies,grow vegies herbs. Homeopath treats me and follow Palio diet as gluten problem. Seem much better now and only one gp said I need b12 as I could not simulate through diet. Copper is a thought but no symptoms but Osteo after accident and menopause after head injury. I just give up with blood test and doctors ..specialist gave me sleeping pills for fatigue only in February …I take only when overtired from body and get a good 7 hours sleep. I read every article you post and even gave print out to gp ..to reply anyone can write info … Thankyou ..

15. Dr Bruce Jones March 7, 2015 at 10:00 am - Reply

Excellent article. Disturbances of copper metabolism are very, very common, esp. amongst people of Celtic or Scandinavian ancestry.
    True copper deficiency is relatively uncommon, perhaps affecting 5-10% the the population. The cause is usually one or more SNPs in CTR1 – the principal cellular copper transporter. Conversely, copper toxicity is very common, affecting upwards of 35 -40% of the Australian population. Red hair is a dead giveaway!
    In these people, there is either an up-regulation or duplication of the CTR1 gene, with the result that there is an increased density of Copper transporters in the gut, kidneys & blood-brain barrier.
    The increased copper load exceeds cellular metallothionein capacity; hence copper becomes attached to extracellular storage sites by means of cell-surface Integrin receptors. The presence of an excessive load of copper thereby influences extracellular homeostasis to a significant extent.
    Actually the best test to assess tissue copper levels is a properly performed Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis, performed by either Trace Elements Inc. in Addison, Texas or Analytical Research Labs in Phoenix, Arizona. The results will be almost identical from either lab.
    The antidote to high copper is molybdenum, not zinc per se. Chelated molybdenum is needed lifelong for these patients, with the aim of bringing their copper levels into the low-normal range. Conversely, for those who are copper-deficient, a high copper diet plus chelated copper is required for life. Ceruloplasmin levels usually reflect hair tissue copper, but l routinely test for both in the majority of my patients.
    Correcting these biochemical abnormalities can make some really big improvements in one’s overall health & well-being.

• Paula Wolfe March 9, 2015 at 8:32 pm - Reply

Thanks for your input, I’m half Scandinavian and have premature white hair and most of the symptoms that Dr. Cohen has listed so I am very eager to get to the bottom of copper regulation. I did do 23 and me so will try to look up the CTR1 connection.

16. Vivian March 7, 2015 at 10:13 am - Reply

After having the proper test how do you go about correcting the problem? There are so many different types of mineral supplements it is very confusing Thank you for a very informative article

• Dr Bruce Jones March 19, 2015 at 10:42 am - Reply

If you’re copper deficient (and not on Resveratrol) then you need chelated copper for life.
      If you’re copper toxic, you need a low-copper diet, chelated zinc plus molybdenum glycinate daily until your levels come back to the middle of the normal range. it is a wise precaution to get your hair tested at least twice yearly, by either of the two laboratories mentioned in my comments above.

17. Ms. A March 7, 2015 at 10:21 am - Reply

Suzy, I enjoy all your posts and frequently share them. I’m going to share this one with the Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Group.

18. anne March 7, 2015 at 10:43 am - Reply

Very interesting and thank you for letting us know about copper.
    I am very at awe about resveratrol being a drug muggers of copper.
    Thank you for saying that. It is not the first time that I am reading
    something about resveratrol intake. Most of the thing I read it is
    all about the benefits of that molecule but lately I came across
    several articles about resveratrol and its side effects.

It is like copper we need to know why and when to take it.

Anne
    Montreal,Canada

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 2:57 am - Reply

Anne, resveratrol can chelate copper. It’s on pubmed.

19. John March 7, 2015 at 10:53 am - Reply

Thank you for this very enlightening article, Suzy.

20. Debra March 7, 2015 at 11:01 am - Reply

I hoped you’d include advice for keeping our copper and zinc in the correct proportion via nutrition.

21. Sue T March 7, 2015 at 11:14 am - Reply

Fascinating stuff. I do know lobster is a great source of copper. Since lobster hasn’t been a poor mans food for a couple of hundred years, what affordable foods are a great source?

22. H Freeman March 7, 2015 at 11:39 am - Reply

Dr. Cohen

For the past five years I have suffered with tinnitus. I have problems with sleep and a little hearing loss. The noise is mainly in the left ear and sometime it comes from both ears.
    I have seen many doctors that could do little to help.

What can be used to treat it and what can be used to help with sleep.

As always, the articles are informative and very helpful to me as well as others who I share this information. Please keep these health tips keep coming. Thanks.

23. S March 7, 2015 at 11:46 am - Reply

Thanks for this timely article. I’ve just found out I have high serum copper; the doctor probably doesn’t know about RBC copper so I will ask for it next time. My question is: if you have high serum copper and low RBC copper, how on earth do you treat that? My doctor won’t know – she just says take high amounts of zinc and I react quite badly to that (converts to high levels of testosterone for me – not good). So can you say something about that missing piece of the equation please? Thank you for your excellent articles – they’re a real eye-opener.

24. carolanne March 7, 2015 at 12:10 pm - Reply

Hi thank you for this valuable information. I love receiving emails from you! I know you say it’s important to have intracellular copper levels tested but if one already had serum copper and zinc levels tested and both came back low would it be wise to supplement? Or is the serum level an inaccurate way to rely on whether high or low?

25. AlisonJ March 7, 2015 at 12:20 pm - Reply

Where can a UK resident get tested?

26. Isabella March 7, 2015 at 12:59 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy,
    Thank you for your excellent newsletters. They have helped me maintain a proactive attitude about my health.
    I have every one of the symptoms of copper deficiency except premature gray hair.
    Can you tell me how to supplement properly?
    I also have Fabry’s disease, a lysosomal storage disease, and very badly need to get from 195 pounds back to my healthy weight between 135 and 145
    Isabella

27. susan grosser March 7, 2015 at 1:01 pm - Reply

A very interesting and educating article.Thank you.
    There used to be a trend of wearing a copper bracelet for the pain relief of arthritis.
    Would this be beneficial as an adjunct therapy for copper depletion?
    Thanks a million for your donation to we mortals!

28. Michael March 7, 2015 at 1:01 pm - Reply

hi suzy, thanks for information that people need to consider for making right decisions for there health.i really believe that if we can resolve a problem first with natural methods that the body will respond. but you do need to know the right test to consider before you have a clear picture of how to deal with the problems. thanks again for your wisdom,an may God bless you for helping people to make wise decisions about there life.

29. Linda Bell March 7, 2015 at 1:18 pm - Reply

I found your article very informative, especially the information about premature grey hair. I started going grey at age 16: at age 20, I had huge gallstones. Do you think there might be a connection there with copper ? What should your RBC copper level be?

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 2:47 am - Reply

It depends on each person. You know you have toxicity if you have:
      Nausea, abdominal pain
      Yellowing of the skin (Jaundice)
      Fatigue or weakness
      Behavioral changes
      Tremors or shaking limbs
      Difficulty walking and/or swallowing
      Dystonia

30. Cindy Doody March 7, 2015 at 1:18 pm - Reply

Very Interesting. I have had weird symptoms most of my life. I am 47. I keep going from Doctor to Dr to see if I can find someone to give me more information. I am Hispanic/Italian, grey hair is beginning to appear, dry skin around my nose and mouth, eyesite is worsening considerably, my eyes sometimes yellow. I have not been able to loose weight and have had low metabolism since 2001, after my second child. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos, and I am being treated for that. What concerns me is that for some time now I seem to be always tired, wiped by 7pm. I have always been told that I am anemic, go buy iron at CVS and be done with it. I take iron for about 1 week consistentently and then I get sick. I keep telling the Dr that my body does not absorb it and almosts rejects it after awhile.

I do have all the symptoms of above, the only weird thing that was flagged on my last CBC was low cholesterol, both good and bad, with low iron. This new Doc told me to go see a hemotologist.

Ive always thought it was my thyroid causing havoc, it might be this…Thank you. I will print out and bring it with me. Any other thoughts?

31. Paula Wolfe March 7, 2015 at 1:18 pm - Reply

Thanks for this article which explains many problems related to copper. I was surprised though that you didn’t mention cerulaplasm, the protein transporter for copper. I just read a very good explanation by Morley Robbins about how cerulaplasm needs vitamin A (retinol sources) and vitamin C from natural food sources and not ascorbic acid which interferes with cerulaplasm. Too much calcium and vitamin D supplementation without enough magnesium will also cause problems. It’s all a complicated puzzle and I would love for you to look into the role of cerulaplasm.

32. Stan March 7, 2015 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Wow! Good info! Thank you very much for taking the time to write this. Keep up the excellent work.

33. Bernie Brose March 7, 2015 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Suzy, Tell me if PPI’s help narrowing of the esophagus. If not, tell me what will.

34. Dr Janene Martin March 7, 2015 at 1:30 pm - Reply

Loved your article. Thank you for doing such great work for all of us.

35. Wade Yoder March 7, 2015 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Thanks for this work and info! This makes a lot of sense and with the massive heart disease problems and the wave of M.S. diagnosis’s on the horizon, this research can help a lot of people

36. Paula Wolfe March 7, 2015 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Sorry I spelled ceruloplasm incorrectly, it’s a something most of us are unfamiliar with, but can make the difference between being copper toxic or copper deficient. According to Morley Robbins the stress hormones ACTH can stop the production of ceruloplasm. ACTH is high when magnesium is low and vice versa which indicates the importance of magnesium once again.

37. David Brach March 7, 2015 at 1:46 pm - Reply

We only use sea salt at home, and rarely eat out. Should we be getting enough copper in sea salt? We’re not on any prescription medications, take a few supplements.

• David Brach March 7, 2015 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Oh, and no symptoms of copper deficiency.

38. Al Deavers March 7, 2015 at 2:03 pm - Reply

Suzy, What would we do without you?!!! When I open my emails, I always look for yours first.

It is a real blessing that you’re not in bed with Big Pharma but instead you’re making a very

compassionate effort to save lives and promote good health. I’m 78 years of age and my

family and friends say I’m not aware that I’m old AND THEY ARE RIGHT. I always give you

the credit for my physical and mental wellbeing. Keep up the good work, and tell Sam that

he’s not the only one in love with you, Love ya, AL

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 2:43 am - Reply

He says he’ll me with you Al 😉
      THANK YOU, here’s an e-hug! Maybe we’ll meet in person one day, I get around the US to do signings and talks.

39. Sue March 7, 2015 at 2:17 pm - Reply

Do have you have a recommended dose for copper? Thank you.

40. Roxanne Ricchio March 7, 2015 at 2:19 pm - Reply

My Naturpath has prescribed 120mg of Zinc per day so I take so my pharmacist said I should take 2mg of copper per day. I take the Zinc along with Biotin for hair loss. Is this enough copper?

41. Debi March 7, 2015 at 2:45 pm - Reply

What connection if any do copper water pipes have on copper in your body and if wbc count is high do you have too much copper?

42. Juli March 7, 2015 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy,
    What a great info. My ferritin level is 7. I have like 5 fibroids a long with heay periods. I’m taking iron which my doctor prescribe me. It’s making me miserable. I’m constipated. Hopefully I can talk to my doctor about restesting the ferrin level. I don’t know about if my doctor will be able to test me if my copper level is okay.

43. Marilyn March 7, 2015 at 2:48 pm - Reply

Great article!

44. Theresa March 7, 2015 at 2:51 pm - Reply

HI Suzy,

Thanks for this valuable information! As always, you make understanding health issues so easy. I do not see a mainstream Dr. so can you advise me on how or where to get a good general blood test? Would that be a mineral levels test of some sort or is this particular test for copper one that needs to be done as a ‘stand alone’?
    Thanks!

45. Debi March 7, 2015 at 2:53 pm - Reply

I could talk all day about the benefits of grapeseed youre saying it robs copper need my grapeseed supplement. Might I need more zinc to off set that? How do you determine deficientcies based on the rbc/ wbc count

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 2:41 am - Reply

I didn’t say anything about grape seed that I recall. I said resveratrol.

46. Pamela Pyc March 7, 2015 at 2:54 pm - Reply

What if I am deficient at the cellular level but toxic after zinc, serum and plasma levels are calculated?
    Can sure use some help with this.

47. Lisa March 7, 2015 at 3:02 pm - Reply

Great article, thank you for providing this info! I am on the search for the crux of the laundry list of issues I’m experiencing. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) the list you provided contains quite a few of them. I recently saw an immunologist and she did a lot of blood work, I don’t think the test you recommend was included, but need to go back to my results and check. If not, I’ll be asking for this test! Thanks again for sharing such great info, patients need this kind of insight more and more as our health care system doesn’t work properly without a well educated patient helping!

48. Ken March 7, 2015 at 3:07 pm - Reply

I have had anxiety and panic attacks since I was seventeen, I’m now fifty-eight. Could a copper or zinc problem be causing this? What can I do to find out without taking a blood test? I am on disability because of this. If I did not have this chronic problem I would be working.

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 2:40 am - Reply

Could absolutely be related. Please test. Look up Wilson’s disease too, it’s a genetic predisposition.

49. Lori March 7, 2015 at 3:08 pm - Reply

Very interesting article! I used to take copper but it irritated my bladder (i have IC) and I take zinc every day. I seem to relate to many things on your deficiency list.

My question for you is, what foods would be highest in copper, or do you have other ideas to get it into your diet?

Thanks!

50. Sigrid Haskell March 7, 2015 at 3:09 pm - Reply

What do you think about wearing “copper clothing” like t-shirts, socks, etc? They seem to be very popular (and expensive). Do they “work”?

51. Barb March 7, 2015 at 3:12 pm - Reply

Great information. Thank-you for going beyond mainstream.

52. Rose Gadzala March 7, 2015 at 3:14 pm - Reply

Suzy, I love your emails. I have read your diabetes book. I will have to buy your Drug Muggers.I am on warfarin for a-fib. I have worried about the lack of vitamin K. Have been recently been diagnosed with Wegners vasculitis. I was on hydralazine and found a link with the use to the disease, but my dose was lower than the one in the study.

53. "CC" March 7, 2015 at 3:15 pm - Reply

Hello Suzy! Excellent article! On the blood test, RBC Copper, is this a fasting blood test? Thank you!

54. Danilo Bartl March 7, 2015 at 3:24 pm - Reply

So if one gets their RBC copper level tested and comes up deficient, what should one do to improve their intracellular copper level? Simply take a supplement? Are there dangers to developing a high serum copper level after supplementing to improve the intracellular level?

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 2:42 am - Reply

Read about ceruloplasm. It’s on the thread I’ve mentioned it a few times. I’ve also updated my article (go to the very end of the article and read my update).

55. Linda March 7, 2015 at 3:24 pm - Reply

I remember reading in Science Daily a year or so ago that iron, copper, and zinc were elevated in the brains of Alzheimer’s patients.

What should the RBC level of copper be to maintain good health and not cause problems? Would a regular doctor even know the proper amount to suggest, based on RBC levels?

56. Greg Betza March 7, 2015 at 3:25 pm - Reply

I have read and re-read your very informative article about Copper. All Physicians measure only what may be associated with your disease/affliction. They NEVER go outside of the “Box”. Whether it is because they are not trained properly; don’t really care; lazy or a combination of all three, Physician testing deficiencies. Unfortunately, the patient suffers each and every time!

I have found that if the patient takes things into their own hands and takes steps to help themselves, they will probably prevent some major health issues from developing. I have found that a lab in Houston Texas (www.spectracell.com) can do a complete analysis assessing intracellular nutritional using the patient’s white blood cells. The blood is drawn locally and sent overnight to Houston for testing.

I found that their analysis is fast and accurate. It takes the guesswork out of vitamin & mineral supplementation and gives you an accurate and detailed anysis that you can send to your medical physician. YOUR MEDICAL PHYSICIAN CANNOT AND WILL NOT DO THIS ON HIS/HER OWN!

Education is a critical factor to getting and feeling better. You need more than the government , physicians and specialists to get your body to an optimal health status. Waiting for the “Magic Bullet” is a slow boat to increased sickness and slow death. The average person can help themselves beginning today…….

57. Rita March 7, 2015 at 3:33 pm - Reply

Hi Suzie,

I thoroughly enjoyed the article. I started going gray at 18 years of age, when I went away to college. My grandmother says that it is hereditary, on her side of the family, but now I wonder whether there may be a copper deficiency, especially since post menopausal osteoporosis also runs in the family . To complicate matters, I am genetically MTHFR 677t homozygous. The information on copper is important. Thanks.

58. Fran March 7, 2015 at 3:33 pm - Reply

What are natural ways to ensure adequate copper such as through diet?
    What foods are rich in copper?

59. Laurie March 7, 2015 at 3:42 pm - Reply

Thank you for this information; I was just sitting with a good friend while she was talking with her doctor on the phone; she is on Warfarin. I am printing this for her to read.

60. John March 7, 2015 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Suzy, great article!

I’d like to address a couple points. You indicate that taking copper can lower zinc: “If you’ve been consuming zinc supplements for a long time then you might be copper deficient, and vice versa.”

But per Alan Gaby: Nutritional Medicine (Page 155): “Although zinc interferes with copper absorption, copper supplementation does not appear to interfere with zinc absorption,”

Also: Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism (page 491):”Although copper has the potential to interfere with zinc absorption, such interference has not been reported. In fact, the opposite appears to occur; that is, zinc supplements inhibit copper absorption and can lead to copper deficiency.”

Also I’m very curious where you picked up the idea that resveratrol “mugs” copper? There is an article on PubMed (PMID: 9214696) which implies a possibility but apparently this has never been shown to occur in vivo in humans. And I’ve read that resveratrol’s chelating effect is very trivial.

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 2:37 am - Reply

Oh gosh, I’ve seen people who supplement with resveratrol for just a few months like about 250mg and their copper levels are trashed and they have all signs/symptoms of it. Look on pubmed, there are a few articles, it’s fairly well accepted. I like Gaby, he’s a funny and smart man, had lunch with him. Great guy.

61. Natalie March 7, 2015 at 3:55 pm - Reply

Thanks, Suzy. So, what do you recommend for augmenting our diet with copper? Chlorophyll-rich foods and nuts?

62. Gerald Djuth March 7, 2015 at 4:00 pm - Reply

Suzy- I enjoyed your article, but it left me with a question. If your serum levels of copper are fine, but your RBC copper is deficient, should you supplement?

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 2:36 am - Reply

Adding protein will help with those transporters, but I’m not sure what would be right for you. Supplementing could help some people, whereas others… it would just cause higher circulating levels (not intracellular levels). It’s a question to tease out with doc. Read the thread, there’s a little discussion about ceruloplasm.

63. Elizabeth Darby March 7, 2015 at 4:07 pm - Reply

Suzy, LOVE all your helpful info! I quote you and sing your praises all the time…and have for years! So, re the copper article, what would be your recommended daily amount for this supplemental taking, YOUNG 73 yr old? Also, if I have a question along the way that might make a good article, may I send that to you…and, if so, where? Thanks so much! Elizabeth

64. Shasha March 7, 2015 at 4:09 pm - Reply

Copper raises estrogen and zinc raises testosterone. Taking copper without zinc may cause eyes to dim. A person can take zinc without copper. Detoxing may remove zinc and make copper rise. Hair tests show good minerals like copper/zinc and more and heavy metal levels in tissues. Gentle iron (Iron bisglycinate) may help raise iron without as much constipation. Vit C may help iron absorb. I agree copper is very important. Too high or low is not good. Too much zinc may lower copper as they compete for absorption. White marks on finger nails show if zinc is low.

Thanks for the great helpful information! Happiness….

65. Janet Mc Aleer March 7, 2015 at 4:27 pm - Reply

What form of copper supplementation would you recommend?

66. Judy Curtis March 7, 2015 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Thank you for all this wonderful information Suzy. You are doing us all a great service.

67. Mary Schleicher March 7, 2015 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Appreciated this article. I purchased Copper after reading that Zinc depletes copper and Zinc is so essential for good health. I felt if I took the Copper a couple times a week it wouldn’t cause a problem? I wasn’t aware that Resveratrol depletes copper also. I do have intermittent numbness in my right hand due to a neck problem, not my heart, also family history of stroke, heart issues, I feel Copper would be beneficial. In the past, I’ve had anemia, also water retention. Took iron, water pills that were potassium sparring. I now take Parsley for water retention problems along with a Potassium supplement for that issue. Next physical I will request a proper test for Copper levels though. I’m 66 now, but am a lot more proactive in my own health care. Appreciate having individuals like you who have the expertise to guide me on this course.

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:57 am - Reply

Copper deficiency is a seious problem implicated with heart disease through cardiac arrhythmias, over the last few decades, numerous studies have demonstrated that people, especially postmenopausal women and older men could benefit greatly from copper supplementation. It’s no secret, but few talk about it. I like the simple things first.

68. Karen Fleming March 7, 2015 at 4:48 pm - Reply

Thank you so much Suzi for your help and for giving us information. I do not know many times what to do, I am pretty much treating myself, because I cannot afford a physician who will work with me on a ‘nutritionally based’ level.. (she always seems to want to prescribe the latest drug).. ..

I am on disability due to ‘chronic fatigue’.. i.e. fibromyalgia, and any other given name. I’ve come a long way in improvement, I’ve changed my diet to the fungal free diet (Doug Kaufmann) [knowthecause.com] and noticed quite a difference. I’ve been on it for 2 years, and though there has been quite an improvement, I am still experiencing many days of fatigue and lethargy.

I am using a variety of supplements for a variety of issues, and when I try to stop them, I tend to get worse, there are also some other things I would like to discuss personally with a physician, but don’t seem to have access to anyone who can help me.

This article makes me question some of the things I am doing.. and I need more help. I wish I could find a doctor out there who is knowledgeable in nutrition and supplements who would be able to help me. I feel as if I am on the ‘verge’ of healing.. but never quite getting there. Please help. (if you can)

God bless you for all you do to bring us more information.

~K

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:54 am - Reply

It’s good to question. You’ll get healthier faster that way. Be your own health coach.
      I’d keep reading, studying, learning and then tackle the biggest symptoms first. For a good doc, look up http://www.functionalmedicine.org and put in your zip code.

69. Barb March 7, 2015 at 4:48 pm - Reply

Excellent article! Most informative & concise regarding Cu that I’ve read! Thank you for sharing your knowledge about such an important (& usually misunderstood) piece of the health puzzle.

70. Debbie March 7, 2015 at 4:55 pm - Reply

I loved this article! I belong to both the Magnesium Advocacy Group and the Copper Dysregulation and Re-balancing Group on Facebook and you have explained this (for me) better than either of those have been able to. The human body, both so simple and yet so complex that the contradictions are a marvel. Thank you!

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:52 am - Reply

Well thank you Debbie, very kind of you to take a moment to share your thoughts. Speaking of “share” you can absolutely repost a link or whatever you like to send people to read this. Hopefully, we will change lives together 🙂

71. Deb March 7, 2015 at 4:57 pm - Reply

This is a very informative article! Most of us with a chronic illness never even think about copper! Thank you for always ‘thinking outside of the box!’
    Sometimes it’s the seemingly little things that add up to big changes for those of us who have something for which there seems to be no answers.

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:51 am - Reply

Outside the box… Mmmm yes. Sometimes I feel like a prairie dog sticking her head out of the hole in the ground hoping there isn’t a coyote nearby 😉
      You’re welcome!

72. PAUL SIMONDS March 7, 2015 at 4:58 pm - Reply

WHAT ARE GOOD SUPLEMENTS FOR waldenstrom macroglobulinema

73. Karen March 7, 2015 at 4:59 pm - Reply

Thank you, thank you, Suzy. How do you recommend getting more copper? Through supplements or foods?

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:50 am - Reply

Chocolate and oysters are high in it 😉

• Sue April 11, 2016 at 8:45 am - Reply

Except chocolate isn’t. Chocolate is high in phytic acid which prevents the copper in the chocolate from being absorbed in the digestive tract. Same thing with legumes, also not a good source of copper for that reason.

It’s all pretty much impossible.

74. Yvette March 7, 2015 at 5:02 pm - Reply

I really enjoyed this article!!!! It is VERY informational and can be easily understood. Thank you so much for sharing knowledge.

75. Jan March 7, 2015 at 5:11 pm - Reply

What foods are rich in copper?

76. Dar Lostrom March 7, 2015 at 5:33 pm - Reply

Hello Suzy,

Thanks for yet another excellent overview, this time on why and how (RBC, not serum) we need to know and test for our Copper level and secondly…primarily for maintaining the sterling first impression…you may want to correct the spelling of not one, but two words in your pull-in headline today as: Allergies, Fatuge or Neuropathy May Mean Copper Defficiancy. Opps!

Then, more seriously with a SIL who was put on Warfarin and I have cautioned how this therapy could eventually result in ‘arterial calcification’ due to the drug’s chemical impairment of normal Vitamin K function, I have so appreciated your inclusion of this important nutrient.

For myself, it was only after learning to add K2 (MK7 form) to the long utilized Mg and D3 (use only dietary-derived Calcium)…that I was finally able to stop incessant back pain. This was several years ago and not only by evidence of how that pain has not returned, but since I also annually test (indirectly) for Osteocalcin, I know I am now in range. At first, this result was ‘well above’ range which, as you know, meant I was not building adequate bone due to (unknown) deficiency of Vitamin K…even though I eat daily salads and other k-containing foods.

In my opinion, Vitamin K (in all its forms) is one of THE most important (yet still less known) vitamins for ‘proper’ bone development and heart health…and as some providers are witnessing clinically and safely, low dose K2 can be given at the same time as Warfarin in order to reduce over time risk of the arterial stiffening so maybe you will speak to this aspect as well. Again, thank you for all of this particular illumination and do trust: I have ‘very much’ enjoyed your article. 🙂

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:49 am - Reply

Thanks Dar. I’ll tell Sam to type slower. He sends it out from the newsletter server, and adds a picture after I type the newsletter content out, and these articles. He’s on the couch tonight!
      Postmenopausal women as well as older men benefit greatly from copper supplementation because it helps with bone integrity. Copper def is a common reason for osteopenia. Also for dysregulation in heart rhythm. It’s SO overlooked, that’s why I wrote this.

77. Jim Delwood March 7, 2015 at 5:38 pm - Reply

I have copper plumbing in my home and was cautioned that I might be getting too much copper. because of the leaching effect. What’s your take on this?
    Jim

78. Helen Omoregie March 7, 2015 at 5:39 pm - Reply

.Thank you Suzy for point you make.

79. Marty Mullins March 7, 2015 at 5:42 pm - Reply

How would you get copper into the blood cells, if serum copper levels are normal or high and your RBC’s are deficient?

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 2:17 am - Reply

Ceruloplasm is one of the transporters. Low protein diets cause low ceruloplasm.
      You see, copper gets absorbed from the GI tract and it is bound to ceruloplasmin in the liver and transported to various tissues all over your body. It’s to be incorporated into copper containing enzymes. Copper bound to ceruloplasmin is nontoxic. The liver excretes excess copper into the bile. If you have liver damage you could have low copper-carrying proteins too. Look up Wilson’s disease.

80. Thom Walsh March 7, 2015 at 5:47 pm - Reply

A couple questions….
    1. when you say to test RBC and/or WBC and not the serum, what exactly is the RBC and WBC? I know those as red blood count and white blood count. If that is correct, when you get a RBC and WBC under a CBC, where is the score for Copper?

2. I take 50mg and sometimes 100mg of Zinc daily, what should be the amount of copper I should be taking? It says 10-1 ratio, so 5mg or 10mg of copper?
    I also have Hashimoto’s disease, and many of my blood test are showing Anemia especially in the ferritin levels only being in the low 30’s. Does copper play a role in this?

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:44 am - Reply

Dear Thom
      1. Yes, red blood cell and white blood cell. You’re right. That is not a measurement of copper. Copper isn’t measured in a CBC. Copper is measured as a stand-alone test all by itself (as an RBC Copper level) just like stated in my article. Just print it and take to doc.
      2. Base levels on clinical symptoms and your RBC levels (which you will have to monitor). If you’re taking that much zinc, you’re likely low on copper. People with hashi often have low ferritin. Copper deficiency will prevent you from getting well and keep you anemic. There’s a connection as stated above in my article. Do you have my Thyroid Healthy book? Please grab a copy of that, it will help you, I promise.

81. Paul Valpreda March 7, 2015 at 5:55 pm - Reply

How much copper should one ingest each day?

82. Felicia L. Jones March 7, 2015 at 5:59 pm - Reply

You mention balance, so how much is enough and how much is too little? What are good sources if you do find yourself deficient?

83. Christine March 7, 2015 at 6:04 pm - Reply

Dear Pharmacist,
    (Requesting permission to print the above info about Cu to show my doctor.)

There are so many points in your article to which I relate.
    – HTN;
    – high cholesterol;
    – fatigue;
    – gray hair;
    – dry skin;
    – hypothyroidism;
    – arrhythmia (which Mg supplementation somewhat helps);
    – been taking Zn and Resveritrol supplements;
    – been advised to take aspirin and other “blood thinners” because of a physical injury resulting in a VAD, Vertebral Artery Dissection within the Circle of Willis.

Cu deficiency could be the answer to a bunch of my problems.

In an earlier post you mentioned that N-O (Nitrous Oxide) blocks methylation. For how long? After the VAD, my doctor had me taking N-O lozenges (NEO 40) twice a day to ‘relax’ the arteries. Prior to that, He recommended, and I took L-Arginine (+ Citruline, & D3) for about six years, to help dissolve and clear arterial plaque. Maybe it has been a copper deficiency all along. (We still have old Galvanized plumbing in our house.)

Thank you for this opportunity to ask!
    Christine

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:40 am - Reply

Yes maybe it is. You need to sort that out with him. I’m glad you didn’t give up 🙂
      And yes of course, you may print this and take it to him. It’s all in the literature, it’s in cardiologist’s journals.

84. Tina March 7, 2015 at 6:10 pm - Reply

Thank you for a great article…….you have connected so many dots about copper. I knew it was important and its relation to zinc but didn’t know about the testing and how it can be so totally bogus.

85. James Harkins March 7, 2015 at 6:20 pm - Reply

What is the proper level of copper and can supplements like 1 a day vitamins provide it?

86. m. larson March 7, 2015 at 6:21 pm - Reply

What causes people to make excess pyrroles. Whatever the cause, how can people reduce the pyrroles the body makes?

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 2:13 am - Reply

Sometimes it’s just a nutritional deficiency that sparks it, sometimes it’s a genetic predisposition. There are formulas specifically designed to help and they have the name pyrroles in it, just google or ask doc.

87. Donna Mollere March 7, 2015 at 6:40 pm - Reply

Loved the article.
    Since my husband has type 2 diabetes, high blood. Pressure all managed by meds.
    We are deffenitlly going to mention this to our Dr’s. He has big belly syndrome.Well any way. We are signed up for the Diabetes Summit on March 23rd
    Thanks for all the info
    I have a brother on warfarin and I am going to send his this article on copper

88. Caroline March 7, 2015 at 6:54 pm - Reply

Could a deficiency of copper cause ringing in the ears?

89. Kathy Finegan March 7, 2015 at 7:09 pm - Reply

Thank You Suzy for all the info, a bit overwhelming! I have trigeminal neuralgia. It started about 25 yrs ago as a weird sensation, like broken glass going through a vein or vessel on my face, to a hot poker, to different sensations from the top of my head to my lip to lingering pain to my ear. Sometimes it has to be set off other time it gets into a pattern on its own. I did have brain surgery after exhausting all the different meds the doctors recommend but its back again and only stayed away for a year really!! So after trying without meds after it came back for about a year I couldn’t bare it any longer. Well from loosing all kinds of weight from not eating much because of the pain !) and trying Doug’s plan and antifungals all at the same time, to now gaining weight to eventually blurry vision when I have to eventually up the meds again, (interesting I cant have anything with grapefruit, it interferes with carbamezapine, maybe it has fungus in it and would cancel it out? After all that it did go away for awhile, but that is the nature of this “disease”. I recall my Aunt years ago saying my gray hair was must be due to low copper levels! I went into perimenopause at 37! Maybe as a result I now have osteopenia. One sister took her life as she was possibly bipolar or because of meds she was taking, leaving 4 children behind. I have to tell you my mom took DES because she couldn’t carry her four pregnancies but then had 10 children, she was then given several shots so the babies would drop! Several sisters had surgery for endrometriosis, and gallbladder removal several siblings touretts, and arthritis. My moms knuckles are knarley. She’s 81 and has been taking Xeralto, blood thinner and Ditilazem for atrial fib. She can’t stand taking them and is inconsistent. She also has neuralgia in her mouth and legs sometime. I will continue to read your info, but already have a full plate. Dealing with health, helping my mom who is 2 hrs away, taking care of one of my grandchildren 2 times a week and my husband. I surely do need the Lords grace and people like you who can help. If you have any insight that could narrow things down for me that would be a God send.

Many Blessing to you, Kathy Finegan

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:38 am - Reply

I have an entire chapter on TN in my Headache Free book. Click on shop tab above, and you’ll see the book. You can also read my free articles here on my site, use my search box.
      I wish you well. I understand (this is hard, hang on dear). You can be well! I’ve seen it.
      (Gluten free is important!)

90. RICHARD March 7, 2015 at 7:17 pm - Reply

Like many of your articals this 1 hit very close to home. I will print it and talk with my Dr [a DO] about it.

91. Melanie March 7, 2015 at 7:31 pm - Reply

Thank you Suzy – Yes, very interesting copper article. But I can see complicated too. I take zinc that has copper with it – not sure if 10 to 1 ratio, but will check. I have an irregular heart beat that started 2 years ago – coincidentally when menopause started too; along with adrenal fatigue. I don’t think in Canada we can get RBC copper – is there a lab you would suggest that I could use – also I would be interested in RBC magnesium too. Look forward to your answer and any comments.
    PS I think you are sooooo smart and caring.

92. Beth March 7, 2015 at 7:31 pm - Reply

It’s my understanding that the issue of copper/zinc balance is complex and that it’s possible to have copper toxicity and “hidden copper” sequestered deep in the body’s tissues (along with other metals), but that these do not show up on tests until they are successfully being liberated through a therapeutic protocol. Copper-zinc imbalance can be a result of consuming too much copper (from pipes, copper added to municipal water, etc.) and not enough zinc due to avoidance of zinc-rich foods like red meat.

93. Pat March 7, 2015 at 7:31 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy,
    You stop short of what I need to know. What foods contain copper and how do I make sure I’m getting the other nutrients that help me utilize the copper? At least I can make sure I’m getting what I can from food.
    Thanks
    Pat

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:35 am - Reply

Yep, this is a good question. I didn’t have time to go into copper-rich items, and there are nutritionists who have figured all that out anyway. Look on the internet or contact a local nutritionist. Thanks.

• Dar March 12, 2015 at 7:32 pm - Reply

Hi Pat,

For comprehensive detail on where to obtain Copper from dietary sources, please visit http://orthomolecular.org/nutrients/micronutrients.shtml

For a few examples, though, to pique your interest…some food sources for daily ingestion of Copper are about choices of Alfalfa, almonds, avocados, baker’s yeast, barley, beans, beet roots, black pepper, blackstrap molasses, Brazil nuts, broccoli, cashews, cocoa, crab, dandelion leaves, garlic, grapes, green leafy veggies, green olives…and on and on it goes. 🙂

94. Christl March 7, 2015 at 7:33 pm - Reply

If we are low on copper..what next?

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:33 am - Reply

Hi Christi
      I’m not sure what would be next because you’d have to find out what was causing the low copper (if you are tested to be low).
      If you are taking something that chelates it (like resveratrol) then you’d stop.
      If you were taking a medication that chelated it, you’d have to ask your doctor about stopping or switching.
      If you’re drinking or eating something that binds it, you’d avoid… and so forth.
      Find out WHY it is low. Go from there.

95. Jane March 7, 2015 at 7:38 pm - Reply

What type of blood test for copper deficiency do I ask for?

96. Susan Summerton March 7, 2015 at 7:39 pm - Reply

How can I find out more about resveratrol being drug mugger of copper?

97. Judy March 7, 2015 at 7:39 pm - Reply

How is cellular copper deficiency corrected when there is excess serum copper? Will supplementation of copper create problems? Are there any food choices?

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:29 am - Reply

Fix the transport systems and enzymes. Sometimes it’s genetic. Too complicated to answer here. I will simmer on this and write a new article on genes and snps (pronounced “snips”).

98. Martha March 7, 2015 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Can copper deficiency be detected via hair analysis?.

99. Eu March 7, 2015 at 8:26 pm - Reply

Great article, information not available otherwise. If your health provider does not test this specifics, what lab do you recommend? I live in Denver and I have Kaiser Permanente and I always have to fight for the proper testing.
    Thanks again

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:27 am - Reply

Denver is progressive, I would just ask doc if you feel like you meet the criteria. This isn’t a “weird” test or anything, it’s just one they don’t think of. Colorado is very alternative, I live there too.

100. patty March 7, 2015 at 9:04 pm - Reply

how do we buy copper supplements?

101. Cheriel Jensen March 7, 2015 at 9:12 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for this explanation. Now I would like to know why I seem to need so much magnesium to stop leg cramps.

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:26 am - Reply

All the drug muggers of magnesium are listed in my Drug Muggers book. Infections like Lyme will pull it out of you too. Coffee, alcohol and others.

• Diane March 8, 2015 at 1:54 am - Reply

Glad you wrote this article, and I’ll look forward to your article about high copper.
        I have tested high copper / low zinc and have Factor V snps as well as being an over-methylator.

Is there something we can take to bind the excess copper when it starts excreting .. something that will transport it safely out of the body without effecting any organs, etc. adversely .. and not inhibit the copper reduction therapy while it is doing it?
        I have your Drug Mugger book but wasn’t sure if using the copper reduction items will cause problems when the excess copper starts going out into the body.

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 2:10 am - Reply

Resveratrol chelates copper.

• Lynne March 11, 2015 at 8:08 pm

So, does that mean that resveratrol is beneficial for copper levels?

• Suzy Cohen March 12, 2015 at 4:53 am

Beneficial is a relative term.
            If you’re copper levels are high (above normal and that is a bad thing) then resveratrol would bring it down a beneficial thing.
            If you are deficient in copper, then resveratrol would further reduce it, not beneficial.

• Karen Fischer March 13, 2015 at 4:10 pm - Reply

Thank you for your research and this article. I started looking into the values of copper in the body for VEDS 5 years ago. Finding bacis info on copper I brought it to my pcp’s attention a requested a look and time period approach to trying it. He added Magnesium for me to take at same time. 5 years later. Im 51 fewer bleeds more energy quicker healing time of tears, small vessel ruptures, less pain in general…I have copper bracelets for wrists, copper oval 8s made for fingers. I do needlework…less pain more time for neeedlework. I am just a person with VEDS who took an idea to my DO….and heres what is happening…..cool.

• Suzy Cohen March 15, 2015 at 5:00 am

Totally cool! Thank you for sharing 🙂

• autumn March 28, 2015 at 11:26 pm - Reply

where to get test

• Maggie Holt March 9, 2015 at 3:16 am - Reply

Do you take potassium? I take 99 mg potassium 4x daily and am not bothered with leg cramps as long as I’m on my potassium. I’m on a bunch of other stuff as well, including magnesium, but it seems to be the potassium in particular that I need.

• barbara April 9, 2015 at 12:07 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy, I would like to thank your life saving info. I have a thyroid problem and you have helped me greatly, only wish I could get your books and supplements here in Canada, have a great day, thank you !!

102. Katherine Finan March 7, 2015 at 9:36 pm - Reply

This is great information, thank you! It sounds like in the case of some iron deficiencies or clotting issues, copper may be available in the body but not in the right place – inside the cell. What would be the best way to supplement, or get copper inside the cell in these cases? I wouldn’t want to overload with more copper going to the wrong part of the body by supplementing.

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:25 am - Reply

Exactly, you’re thinking is correct. Support cell membrane health.

• Samantha McRorie March 8, 2015 at 9:58 pm - Reply

HI Suzy,

Great article – thanks!

You mention supporting cell membrane health to help the copper into the cells.
        Can you elaborate on that….

• Suzy Cohen March 9, 2015 at 4:08 am - Reply

Yes one day, it’s an entire column or little ebook, there’s much one can do. I’ll work on that for a future article.

103. Katy March 7, 2015 at 9:41 pm - Reply

Several years ago, when I was about 35 years old, after a long period of extreme psychological pressure, I lost the beautiful redness in my hair. It was dull and lifeless, and lots og grey hair appeared. I started supplementing with copper, and now when I’m 41 and have my beautiful red hair back, and almost no grey hair. Still I suffering from fatigue, but I think I will never have more energy. I’ll have to accept the fact that I have less energy than most other people. But I’m happy for my hair ☺

• Maureen June 16, 2015 at 3:11 am - Reply

Maybe take iodine, chlorella, may have low thyroid, selenium. These are things I’ve read from Suzy and others for energy.

• moringa April 5, 2016 at 10:40 am - Reply

which brand of coper u take? how much per day? thanks

104. Nora Edwards March 7, 2015 at 9:53 pm - Reply

Thank you Suzy for a great news letter. This was very interesting because although I am an R.N., I was not aware of the testing issues you pointed out.

105. spring March 7, 2015 at 9:57 pm - Reply

You are so informative.Thank you so much for all the information you give.You have given me some things to think about.Is this an expensive blood test? Will it offend the Dr.?

106. Joseph Gonzalez March 7, 2015 at 10:00 pm - Reply

Thank you so much Suzy Cohen, for being such a Blessing ! Please keep it coming… we need more wonderful human beings like you in this world. Joe.

107. Maynard Mast March 7, 2015 at 10:18 pm - Reply

I did enjoy this material. Very Interesting. mm

108. Deb Manz March 7, 2015 at 10:33 pm - Reply

My father-in-law was never told about the relationship between Vit K and warfarin.
    So he should stay away from all salads and leafy greens otherwise it could make the warfarin less effective?
    Thanks your articles are always so informative.

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:22 am - Reply

You need to ask him, don’t change anything without asking him (doc) because you will shift things and he is stable with whatever he is doing. It’s the tilting (one way or the other) that is bad. Again, ask doc why he wasn’t told and whether he should avoid it at this point or not.

109. Jessica March 8, 2015 at 12:04 am - Reply

Where do you recommend getting a urine test?

110. Alexandria March 8, 2015 at 12:22 am - Reply

As a stage 3 estrogen+ progesterone + breast cancer patient should I worry about copper containing foods? I eat lots of nuts, seeds and avocados. Is Femara a drug mugger of copper?

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:20 am - Reply

Copper can drive estrogen-driven cancers, be careful. Not sure about Femara (no studies directly).

111. Sarah DJ March 8, 2015 at 12:52 am - Reply

Wow, thanks for putting this info together… What if a person is already on warfarin with a history of several severe blood clot situations? Would the RBC be accurate?

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:20 am - Reply

I would evaluate RBC levels and clinical picture.

112. Martha March 8, 2015 at 12:56 am - Reply

Can copper deficiency be determined via hair analysis?

• Suzy Cohen March 8, 2015 at 1:19 am - Reply

You can try but I’d correlate it with symptoms and also RBC levels.

• Martha March 10, 2015 at 2:43 am - Reply

Thank you!

• Dr Bruce Jones March 19, 2015 at 10:18 am - Reply

A properly performed Hair Analysis PLUS a serum Ceruloplasmin are the two best indices of total body copper status. Ceruloplasmin is a copper-bearing iron oxido-reductase enzyme, that can transport up to 6 atoms of copper per molecule. It’s not the only copper transporter in the body, but its levels normally correlate very well with hair copper levels.
        The next confirmatory test is a DMPS / DMSA Challenge test – the ratios of urinary copper concentrations before & after the dose of the chelating agent (both adsorb copper brilliantly) is also very informative in indicating if you’re one of those people who absorb far too much copper from your diet or water supply, and hence build up copper in your extracellular tissues. This can result in serious long-term side effects.
        Serum copper by itself, is of little use, as it only represents the recent ingestion of copper-containing substances.

• MrTrev01 April 24, 2015 at 11:37 am - Reply

I have HTMA done showing me as Slow oxidiser with Low available copper- but high unbound possibly lurking in the liver. [as I understand this]
          My serum copper was 100ug/dl which though in range is considered the high limit.
          My Cp was 20mg/dl in the same test take & this is low.
          I have Hypothyroidsm [sub- clinical] which may be due to Liver copper inhibiting T4 conversion. I couldn’t stick at Levothyroxin, either.
          Is this all connected?
          Can boosting Cp with Cod liver Oil [Vit A], Boron and Manganese [all low, btw] -as well as Magnesium, correct this?
          PS: I can’t see any firm reason to discount RBC Copper in your post above though.. Cheers!

113. Al Salter March 8, 2015 at 1:24 am - Reply

Thank you for your informative articles on health from those of us who cannot pay for medical services and must rely of the kind deeds of medically trained knowledgeable people to help us get and try to stay well enough to operate as well as we can daily. Lord’s blessings, Suzy.

114. John Crane March 8, 2015 at 1:35 am - Reply

Hi Suzy, My Grandaughter, Danielle 23 years old has recently been diagnosed with Polycythaemia Vera Rubra. She already has had a clot on her brain and is now on warfarin. They haven’t yet sorted her medication yet.
    I find that it is very strange that usually PV Rubra people have a ruddy complexion, however Danielle has a very pale anaemic complexion. I asked her Mother, my Daughter, if she has had iron deficiency anaemia checked out and apparently she has been told that she is not anaemic. Having just read your piece on copper deficiency I am now concerned about Danielle’ diagnosis. Are you able to throw any light on this scenario. My daughter told me that the doctors were puzzled about her condition and we are most concerned.
    I would appreciate any guidance you are able to give, Suzy.
    Have been a fan of Drug Muggers for some time.
    I guess that you will be able to tell that I am in the UK by my spelling.
    Regards John Crane, Northampton, England.

115. Aidan Walsh March 8, 2015 at 1:45 am - Reply

Very informative do you suggest a good copper to take plus what about other multi vitamins/b complexes gluten free ones would you say is best to buy once Copper has been stable again???

thanks for the great articles…Do most private labs carry WBC OR RBC Copper tests urine or bloods??? :)’s Aidan :)’s

116. Maggie Holt March 8, 2015 at 2:03 am - Reply

Well, well, well……. Interestingly, I knew a particular vision problem starting up was age-related macular degeneration and was researching online re same and looking for a retina specialist in Phoenix (I live 100 miles north where there are no retina specialists–in fact, no MDs or DOs who are savvy about nutrition). .One day I drove a friend to a local eye clinic 25 miles away for cataract surgery. While there I picked up a 3-fold brochure that turned out to be on AMD. I’ve been taking Lutein, Bilberry, Zeaxanthin, Vitamin E, Flaxseed, Fish oil (among many other things thanks to you and a bunch of nonMDs who understand) for a number of years. Those were all listed as being necessary to eye health, particularly re AMD. The only thing listed that I was not taking was–toot, toot–COPPER OXIDE. I added that to my regimen (now over 35 because I prefer to take almost everything separately for better control), found a retina-vitreous specialist to whom my LPN daughter has been driving (and we both really like her and her staff), and after the initial loading of 3 shots, a visit without a shot, and another shot just yesterday (we’re working toward no more frequently than bi-monthly), my vision is 20/20! So here today I read your article and realize I have or have had most of the symptoms you list. One big one I don’t have at age 77, believe it or not, is gray hair. At any rate after adding copper and astaxanthin suggested by Dr. S, I’ve found that I’m feeling even better than before.. TaDa!

Dr. Mark Hyman got me onto Dr. Tom O’Bryan and The Gluten Summit, and things mushroomed from there–thank goodness. I talk to everyone about the value of Drug Muggers and refer to it frequently. Here in Central Arizona it should be in every health care provider’s office–but isn’t. And isn’t the “new” cholesterol knowledge amazing! Staying as healthy as possible, I take no prescription meds, and the last doc I saw said, “Lo thyroid? What low thyroid?” All I could say was, “Guess the bovine thyroid glandular is working.”

117. Adriane March 8, 2015 at 2:37 am - Reply

Thank you Suzy for this very informative article. From what little I know, ceruloplasmin is the transport protein for copper to get into cells, and some people with high serum copper but low ceruloplasmin actually have a deficiency at the cellular level. Is this correct, if so, how do we raise ceruloplasmin? I’ve read that taking preformed vitamin A (retinol) is supposed to help raise it. Thanks for so freely sharing your knowledge.

• CJ January 29, 2016 at 8:00 pm - Reply

Yes I interested in how to raise cp levels. When I google it, this question comes near the top of the results but no answer!

118. Rebecca Donnachie March 8, 2015 at 2:51 am - Reply

Hi Suzy,
    I just had copper levels tested. Can you help me interpret them please. How do I determine if I am toxic, deficient or ok? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. The copper does not say RBC so I am assuming it is serum. The numbers are
    Copper 105mcg 70-175
    Ceruloplasmin 29mg 18-53
    Copper Urine 11.3 3.6-15.5
    Zinc 97mcg 60-130
    Zinc RBC 10.2mg 9.0-14.7
    Zinc Urine 167 51-857

• Dr Bruce Jones March 19, 2015 at 10:29 am - Reply

Dear Rebecca,
      The next step for you is to do a proper Hair Analysis.
      It will tell you your hair copper & zinc, as well as the copper: zinc ratio.
      From your ceruloplasmin level, it looks like your copper stores will be in the low – normal range.

119. Breann March 8, 2015 at 3:29 am - Reply

I started getting lots of gray hair at age 21… now at age 30 I have TONS. I have always had anemia but have never had any other tests done. Would now be a good time to test for copper? Or would there be better tests to start with and then come back to copper?

• Dr Bruce Jones March 19, 2015 at 10:27 am - Reply

Dear Breann,
      The premature onset of grey hair is related to two main factors:
      1. Copper deficiency
      2. Oxidative stress – the build-up of hydrogen peroxide in the hair follicle bleaches the hair root, which then continues to result in loss of pigment as the individual strand of hair develops.
      What to do?
      1. Send of a hair sample for analysis, and get your level of ceruloplasmin tested.
      If both hair copper & ceruloplasmin are either low or low-normal, you’ll need to have a high copper diet plus take Chelated copper daily. Repeat the tests after 3-4 months.
      2. Investigate the causes of oxidative stress. This process affects every cell in your brain & body, not just greying hair follicles. Anti-oxidant support is really important here.

• Candy April 10, 2015 at 11:47 am - Reply

I have high Copper (serum) & normal/high ceruloplasmin. Within the last 2mths my hair has really turned gray at 33yo. So what exactly does that mean for me? Everyone else seems to have low of 1 or the other but both of mine are high. Zinc is only about mid-range.

Copper Serum 179 (72-166)
        Ceruloplasmin 41.4 (16-45)

• Suzy Cohen April 10, 2015 at 4:39 pm - Reply

This is a good consultation for your physician, I don’t do those.

• barry March 14, 2016 at 9:46 am - Reply

whats your RBC magnesium level? u are probably low in magnesium

120. Pat March 8, 2015 at 4:50 am - Reply

Suzie,
    Thank you again. I find your emails so helpful and look forward to the education you provide and the further explorations that result! I’m so glad you’re out there. It is an exciting journey we are on.
    Pat

121. Duane Rosekrans March 8, 2015 at 6:46 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy,
    Love your book Drug Muggers and your informative columns. I am curious to know, is there an updated version of Drug Muggers available? I haven’t seen any in the bookstores where I live. Thanks for all that you do for all the peoples.

Duane

• Suzy Cohen March 9, 2015 at 4:11 am - Reply

Thank you Duane. They (Rodale… the publishers) haven’t updated it since it was published. I’ve written about drug mugging at this website. You can search my archives with the search box for something in particular or just ask 🙂

122. Ghislaine M. March 9, 2015 at 1:05 am - Reply

What’s about copper in Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis (HMA)? (Analysis by Doctor’s Data Laboratories inc. IL)

• Bertie March 10, 2015 at 7:51 am - Reply

Hi Suzie,
      I love receiving your newsletters, your an absolute gem sharing your knowledge with everyone.
      More like ‘The Oracle’ of the medical world.

My question is about Hydrolised Collagen Powder.
      I use Great Lakes as it’s supposed to be amazing for numerous things but I have also heard some negative feedback as well.
      I would love your opion on this supplement please.
      Kindest Regards
      Bertie

• Suzy Cohen March 10, 2015 at 9:11 pm - Reply

I’ve never tried that, I use BioCell myself.

123. Mindy March 9, 2015 at 11:04 am - Reply

Thanks for all your articles, books, and hard work! I was wondering about the green Chlorophyll drink I like. It lists the amount of copper in it. Just wondered how this plays into your article and if you recommend drinking it.

• Suzy Cohen March 10, 2015 at 9:23 pm - Reply

Naturally-derived copper from green drinks is probably a great way to get it. I’m not a huge fan of copper supplements (unless LOW dose, and SHORT term) b/c it is WAY WAY WAY too easy to get too much copper in the bloodstream, and the backlash is bad. It’s estrogenic, it will cause aggression, heavy flow, etc if you get too much copper. So natural sources are better.

124. Maria Pache March 9, 2015 at 12:22 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy,
    As always you are snap on the button with your info! Love all your articles and most of all your THYROID HEALTHY book changed my life! I just wish there was ONE of you (copy) over here in South Africa and a lot of us would be able to be sorted. Thanks for REALLY caring.

• Suzy Cohen March 10, 2015 at 9:21 pm - Reply

PS: If you feel compelled, leave me a review on Amazon, people really use those when debating to buy a book or not. I was in Jo'berg a few years ago. The Jacaranda's were amazing. Next time I come, we'll grab coffee!

125. Vishva March 9, 2015 at 5:21 pm - Reply

I adore your work, your integrity of heart, and your willingness to share in depth your great
    information 1000 thank u.
    I learn so much from u.

126. Beth March 12, 2015 at 2:36 pm - Reply

Copper toxicity is quite common without people realizing it. It’s my understanding that the issue of copper/zinc balance is complex and that people can have copper toxicity and “hidden copper” sequestered deep in the body’s tissues (along with other metals), but that it does not show up on tests until it is successfully being liberated through a therapeutic protocol like Nutritional Balancing. Copper-zinc imbalance can be a result of consuming too much copper (from pipes, copper added to municipal water, etc.) and not enough zinc due to avoidance of zinc-rich foods like red meat.

These articles might be useful:
    and
    and

127. Sharo March 12, 2015 at 9:12 pm - Reply

This information is so helpful! Thank you for sharing. My family has practiced ayurveda for generations and we always drink 1-2 glasses of tamra jal (copperized water) first thing in the morning. This has been a practice of yogis and other Indians for centuries for better digestion, and increased immunity. The ionized water is very hydrating. Over the years copper has gotten such a bad rap because of leeching copper pipes that have made people sick. Glad to see that healthcare providers are again promoting the benefits of copper.

128. Jill March 19, 2015 at 6:31 am - Reply

Hi Suzy,
    I’m going to a regular MD in one day.
    It might be too late to get a reply on time, but anyways.. I want to ask you what kind of bloodwork should I request he do to check my thyroid and for any types of cancer too. They can test for cancer from a blood test, can’t they?
    I was told by a chiropractor that she said the way it looked so far, was like I was in Adrenal Fatigue.
    But I couldn’t get a proper diagnosis from her, cause I couldn’t give her the $3,500. she was wanting to further diagnose me.
    So I’m left trying to self diagnose for many years and when you have brain fog and IQ not so high, its not that easy.
    Thank you so much for helping people like me, it shows how big a heart you have.!
    God bless you.!

Jill

129. Sue March 19, 2015 at 12:37 pm - Reply

I know you do not make diagnosis. But my son has been suffering from schizophrenia for last 5t years. He had a test related to copper. The results were the following:

ceruloplasmin 20.8 [20-60]

copper serum 75 [ 70-140]

My question is do you think that further tests are warranted given that he so close to lower range of normal on both these tests?

I have wondered if this indicates a problem with copper or even possibly Wilson’s disease.

• Suzy Cohen March 19, 2015 at 5:10 pm - Reply

Hi Sue
      The transport protein is low.
      Copper in the serum is not really valuable. Read my article, it should be measured differently. See above.
      To have Wilson’s disease, there would be a mutation is his ATP7B gene, and he would have high copper in the tissues.

130. Mary March 20, 2015 at 2:19 am - Reply

What is the amount of copper needed?

131. Molly March 25, 2015 at 3:36 pm - Reply

I actually just had my blood checked “cellular” via SpectraCell, looking for any nutrientional deficiencies and all that came up was Cooper. I am a plant based eater (vegan). I have not added a cooper supplement, do you think it’s necessary? I don’t want to over supplement.

132. Shasha March 31, 2015 at 2:32 am - Reply

Affect copper level:
    Antibiotics lower B vitamins which detox estrogen in the liver. Cu raises estrogen.
    EDTA and DMPS IV chelations remove minerals
    Gluten may lower nutrients/minerals absorbed in intestines
    Estrogen/testosterone affect Cu/Zn level
    Vitamins affect levels of Cu/Zn
    Stress may lower Zn so Cu may increase
    Zn competes with Cu for absorption
    Taking Cu without Zinc may hurt the eyes…make them dimmer. It is ok to take Zinc without Cu.
    When I was too low in Cu and Zn my ear started to ring.
    Zn helps T4 change to T3 for thyroid hormone.
    Low zinc may make white marks are finger nails.
    Low Copper due to taking too much Vit C may make skin looser…less elastic.
    Hair tests show Cu/Zn and other good minerals and heavy metals. Hair tests show what is in the tissues and not just the blood.
    Cu may raise estrogen which may block thyroid which may raise cholesterol. I get clots when my thyroid is too low due to a clotting disorder that only kicks in when thyroid is too low.
    Cu/Zn balance is very important for the body.
    Zinc helps heal wounds and help the immune system.
    Cu gives color to hair/freckles.
    High Cu may cause hallucinations and mind to race. Schizophrenics maybe Celiac with high Cu.
    Low Cu may cause blood vessels to break.

133. Shasha March 31, 2015 at 2:39 am - Reply

EDTA/DMPS took out zinc which raised Cu. I needed Mo to remove excess Cu.
    Too much Cu can cause Wilson’s Disease…can see Cu ring round white of eye and it hurts brain/body.
    People can buy vitamins without iron or Cu if needed.
    What is a good way to get S.O.D if a person can’t have gluten/wheat?

• Suzy Cohen March 31, 2015 at 2:31 pm - Reply

Source Naturals SOD brand is gluten free I believe.
      Juicing wheatgrass shots! Seeking Health brand makes a brand out of “limonene” that is good too.

134. Rita DeCarlo March 31, 2015 at 6:07 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for the wonderful article. It seemed to describe my husband’s problems. In 2008 he was diagnosed with two embedded blood clots in his legs and was put on Coumadin. About 2 years ago, I learned about MTHFR gene mutations and because of his blood clots and high homocysteine levels, had him checked. He was found to have a single mutation (C677T).
    In the last few years, he has begun to have memory problems (maybe related to the Coumadin).
    He went off of the coumadin in December and in January developed A-fib. He did not want to go back on blood thinners, as recommended by his Doctor, but he did begin to take Energy Boost 70 fulvic minerals and his A-fib has gone away. Seems like the minerals may have been what he needed. It appears like you were “right on” in this article. I would like more info on how to get copper into the cells. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

135. […] the full article here: My 2 Cents About Copper Worth A Million Bucks […]

136. Martine April 1, 2015 at 7:37 pm - Reply

Thanks for all the info on the Diabetes Summit. Enjoyed it tremendously. Started taking Armour again this morning. May call the MD to change to a non-cornstarch thyroid. I have been taking LDN instead, even though the webinar stated we needed to continue the thyroid medicine. Eyes still puffed up. Cold extremities after teaching a lot. Eating a lot to keep the energy.

My question is about copper. I have MTFHR mutation and take active folate, and B12 in a methyl form. B12 is diluted in an iodine copper solutuion. I have been taking Zn [zinc] faithfully and read in one of the responses that we can not overdose on zinc.

I am more concerned about the ionic copper solution. It comes from vrp. Thanks.

• Suzy Cohen April 2, 2015 at 5:44 am - Reply

You can overdose on zinc, I’m not sure who said that you cannot. Ask vrp (?) about it, and why it is in their formula. I wouldn’t get too much copper, it’s easy to become toxic on that, especially for women. Isn’t it simpler to just buy a new B12 formula that is not suspended in iodine/copper solution?

137. kay putty April 9, 2015 at 10:27 am - Reply

wondering if you had a suggestion for a supplement with the enzymes you felt were necessary to digestion?? I have looked and found it very hard to get all 4 that you recommended in one pill.
    thanks.

138. Heath April 10, 2015 at 3:30 pm - Reply

I seem to have too much copper and high levels of estrogen. It manifests as heavy, frequent periods, pain and anger. How does one safely deplete copper in the body? I already take zinc daily, yet I continue to experience these problems. (I live in the UK so it may not be possible to obtain an American product.)

139. Heath April 14, 2015 at 3:10 pm - Reply

After doing some research, I have discovered at least one easy way to heal myself of the issues I described earlier while also stabilising the copper levels in my body: boron as found in everyday household borax. This well referenced article on borax was very helpful to me and perhaps it can help others.

140. Remy May 8, 2015 at 3:16 pm - Reply

What do you consider an optimal RBC copper level?

141. e shaye June 11, 2015 at 10:06 pm - Reply

thanks for your wonderful info
    re copper–if you transporters are low, what could cause that, and how is it tested, and how to rectify?
    many thanks.

142. Stacia June 21, 2015 at 10:54 pm - Reply

Hi Suzy,

I found it really interesting in your article that low copper also can affect SOD and DAO and all three of these are problematic (RA folks can be low in all of these) from articles I have read in pubmed with folks with my condition RA. My RBC copper test shows low so I’ve been taking it and also SOD and DAO from seeking health versions.

I’d like to learn more about the actual cell transport though as it seems this is crux of the matter and might be beneficial to ask my alternative med doc about it and test me. Do you have any other specific links regarding the how copper supports DAO and SOD for my further research and understanding and learning? thank you for this article!

• Suzy Cohen June 22, 2015 at 4:38 am - Reply

I don’t have other links, as it is not my specialty.
      I have a DAO and SOD snp myself. I’ve used Histame before.
      I’ve used manganese and SOD supplements myself. I don’t take copper anymore, I did for a week but reacted badly.

143. Greg July 1, 2015 at 3:49 am - Reply

Hi,

So why manganese is a serum blood test good enough? Mine came up as low. Most of the supps are 15mg which is much more then RDI.

SOD supps, I thought they just get destroyed on eating them?

And Ceruloplasmin is the key really, increase it with Mag and Vitamin A. The Red Cell Copper would mid range be really optimal in the range?

• Suzy Cohen July 1, 2015 at 4:52 pm - Reply

You can pull apart the capsule and dump half or 75% of the contents OUT if you want less.
      I still take SOD, I feel better on them so must be getting something.

144. Laura French July 1, 2015 at 4:16 pm - Reply

Suzy, I am so hoping you can answer this for me.

BTW, you Drug Mugger info about Cipro has saved me in so many ways!

I am trying to find info on what Humira makes me deficient in. I haven’t found that info and would love to know what it mugs! I have Crohn’s Disease.

I kind of freaked out when I had my ceruloplasmin test and it was 10! Very low. I had the serum copper test and it was low, but I will do the RBC. Where can I find the reference range for what it should be?

I’ve had a few HTMA’s. The last one showed copper at 1.7 with ideal at 2.5. I am wondering if Humira is mugging my copper. Can it rob ceruloplasmin? Maybe it is just my Crohn’s doing it, but wondered if you had any info on this. I have been searching and can’t find.

I talked about my low ceruloplasmin and copper with my GI doc and he said ” we don’t worry about that being low. We only worry about it being high.” Well I am worried about it being low. Thanks for any help with this!

• Suzy Cohen July 1, 2015 at 4:50 pm - Reply

There aren’t studies that I can find about Humira to see what it depletes.
      Yes your copper appears to be slightly low, maybe supplementation at low doses for a few weeks would help.

145. Nina July 24, 2015 at 1:04 am - Reply

My serum zinc and copper are high but lie in hair and 24 hour anylsis. Please help me as its million dollar question?
    Regards,

146. Staci August 7, 2015 at 7:29 pm - Reply

My serum copper has been high for years & I have been on the birth control pill for years.
    I just started to supplement with zinc & other other bloodwork is normal.
    If it’s not an RBC copper should I be alarmed. If I discontinued the birth control pill & supplemented along with copper free diet how long until I correct this…I have been feeling anxious & edgy lately.

• Suzy Cohen August 7, 2015 at 8:53 pm - Reply

Careful, copper can make you more anxious and edgy if it gets to the high side. Can also cause heavy periods when too high.
      Let your physician know what you’re doing.

• Staci August 10, 2015 at 9:23 pm - Reply

My physician told me to stay on the low dose pill as I am right in the middle of perimenopause & increase zinc & some other supplements. When my symptoms started to flare I had started consuming tons of greens, drinking them all day, coffee, coconut oil, chocolate protein bars, avocados not consuming meat & have been under a lot of stress. So I am removing all of these items from my diet & doing much more stress mgmt techniques.
        All of my other full cbc labs are very optimal & she only did a serum copper not an RBC. Zinc is in a healthy range.
        I feel like my huge diet change I started several mos ago may have contributed to this high level. Once I remove all high copper foods & use the various supplementation like zinc vit c reservatrol etc & am retested in a month & am still high~does that mean I need to stop the low dose oral contraception or are their stronger chelators that I might consider while I get through perimenopause. I have never had heavy periods & my hair went grey when I was in my 20’s 🙁
        I have been using lots of supplements & doing a more rigid cleansing diet to help with the stress & in hopes it would help my fatigue but virtually everything I was consuming was high in copper…
        All of my vitamins & minerals are all in range except for copper & I wonder if I am doing more harm by being too aggressive about restoring my normally vibrant health!!!

I appreciate any advice you can offer~

• Suzy Cohen August 11, 2015 at 5:52 am - Reply

There’s nothing one can deduce from serum, I wouldn’t change my life based upon serum testing, says nothing about what’s inside the cell.

147. Tiffany Winn August 19, 2015 at 1:28 pm - Reply

I recently removed my Paraguard IUD that I had for 5 years. While I had the Paraguard I had many symptoms that I never attributed to the birth control until most recently. I believe I suffered from Copper toxity from the Paraguard IUD based off similar symptoms that othe diagnosed patients had. I personally experience Anemia, restless leg syndrome, anxiety attacks, fast racing thoughts, blurry vision, gray hair, extreme fatigue, rage, panic attacks. These symptoms came to a head when I felt close to a mental break. I removed the IUD and things immediately got better. I went for a copper blood test so I can get the proper diagnoses with the proper treatment. My results came back and all I was told was the normal range is 72-172 and I am 103 so I’m fine. I don’t know what to do with that because what I experienced was so traumatic that it just doesn’t make sense. Where do I go from here if I cannot even get a proper diagnoses of copper toxicity?

148. Johnny Atman April 8, 2016 at 9:05 pm - Reply

How to raise ceruloplasmin is important but whst is even more important is what lowers ceruloplasmin. Cadmium is one. Citric acid is another.