I’ve been filling in for my brother at work these last two weeks, but it’s not the most enjoyable task for me. He’s fighting off a skin infection and has been to several doctors. He’s getting better, but not fast enough for me! Any suggestions?” –CC Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
ANSWER: Human skin is always teeming with bacteria, fungi and other germs, but these ‘bugs’ need a suitable host to cause infection. They like people with weak immune systems—the result of too much stress, fast food and work. People with the strongest immune systems tend to consume lots of “rabbit food.” Consider the following natural immune boosters:
1. Spirulina: This superfood comes from blue-green algae and is an incredible source of protein, vitamins, minerals and the powerful detoxifier, chlorophyll. Spirulina is best known for its immune-boosting properties and it can be used for cancer. Take daily, especially if you eat meat.
2. Garlic: Add one clove of lightly sautéd garlic to foods each day. Finding high quality supplements is iffy. I like Kyolic’s Aged Garlic because the garlic is free of pesticides; it’s odorless and contains added antioxidants. Clinical trials often use Kyolic brand.
3. Tea Tree Oil: Dab it on the skin—do not take internally! Tea tree is native to Australia. Make sure you buy 100 percent pure oil, rather than a dilution.
4. Zinc: The mineral revs up the immune system, preventing infections. Zinc can latch on to the cold-causing rhinovirus and destroy it before the infection becomes full blown. Take it at the first sniffle to shorten your cold misery by 3 or 4 days. A good maintenance dose is 10 -15mg daily.
5. Olive Leaf Extract: This is a powerful anti-EVERYTHING, relieving vaginal yeast infections, herpes, PMS, psoriasis, headaches, chronic fatigue, diabetes and hypertension. It curbs the production of ‘reverse transcriptase and protease,’ making olive leaf a must for people with AIDS/HIV. Take about 500mg three times daily (standardized).
6. Probiotics & Enzymes: These supplements minimize infections and cure other nagging GI problems. Conventional antibiotics are drug muggers for intestinal flora, making probiotics absolutely essential for anyone taking them.
7. Vitamin D: Sun yourself for 15 minutes each day—it’s free! Studies prove that your skin cells need D to prevent infection, reduce inflammation and improve auto-immune conditions.
8. Oregano: Use fresh herb or supplement; it bolsters your immune system, driving out bacteria, fungus and parasites and it also reduces blood sugar.
9. Green Tea: Drink one cup at night, any flavor.
10. Larch Arabinogalactan: Incredibly powerful, even used for cancer. It activates your ‘killer’ cells, which defend you from chronic chest, sinus or ear infections. When my kids were young, I gave them Arabinex powder sold online or at Thorne Research (800) 228-1966.
Did You Know?
A new study shows that four weeks of fast food and sugary drinks can spark the beginnings of liver damage and diabetes.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any products mentioned or information within this column is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Copyright 1999 – 2008 Website Construction by Dr. Samuel M. Cohen
Suzy Cohen, has been a licensed pharmacist for over 30 years and believes the best approach to chronic illness is a combination of natural medicine and conventional. She founded her own dietary supplement company specializing in custom-formulas, some of which have patents. With a special focus on functional medicine, thyroid health and drug nutrient depletion, Suzy is the author of several related books including Thyroid Healthy, Drug Muggers, Diabetes Without Drugs, and a nationally syndicated column.