Curry Beats Dementia, Diabetes and Cancer

As the snowy cold weather begins to roll into Colorado, I crave warmer, heartier meals like chili, stews and brisket. Juicing kale and celery when it’s 4 degrees outside doesn’t cut it. So at this time of year, garlic and curry go in everything I eat. Let’s talk curry today.  Penang, red or green curry, it’s all good with me! Curry sounds like it’s one spice, but it’s actually a blend of spices, and it always contains some turmeric spice.

Turmeric comes from the ginger family.  This yellow-orange spice was first used as a dye until its medicinal properties were uncovered. Our research today proves turmeric positively benefits hundreds of health conditions, making it a healthy and tasty sprinkle for any dish. Do I want it right now? Yes please!

You can buy the spice called turmeric all by itself if you don’t like curry. Supplements of turmeric are sold everywhere. And you’ll also find “curcumin” which is one potent extract of turmeric.

Curcumin may prevent or improve age-related cognitive decline, dementia, and mood disorders. This is not wishful thinking, it’s true. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial observed 60 adults between the ages of 60 and 85. After about one hour of their curcumin dose, these adults enjoyed a higher attention span and better memory than those who swallowed the dud pill, the placebo.  After four weeks of curcumin supplements, memory, mood, alertness, and contentedness were considerably better in the participants.

Curcumin is a hot supplement, not spicy hot, but “hot” in the sense that research is conducted frequently. I found more than 900 published research papers pertaining to curcumin’s anti-cancer activity. One of these papers found that curcumin has the ability to make some cancer cells commit suicide. Basically, curcumin programs the cell to die! That’s a good thing, you want those cancer cells to go bye-bye! Technically, we call this “apoptosis.” Cancers that are resistant to multiple chemotherapeutic agents seem to still respond to curcumin, at least in mouse studies.  Because of curcumin’s long-term record of safety and low risk of side effects, I think it’s a great natural adjunct to many protocols, especially for breast and prostate cancer. It’s a strong anti-inflammatory.

Type 2 diabetes has reached epidemic proportions.  Diabetes Care, the journal of the American Diabetes Association, published a study about curcumin’s ability to prevent pre-diabetic patients from becoming full-blown diabetics. Results after 9 months showed 100% success! No one progressed. Further, curcumin-treated patients had better pancreatic beta cell function and higher adiponectin. Excellent! You know, I’m a pharmacist and I’ll tell you there isn’t one drug behind the counter that competes.

Curcumin is the ‘Kardashian’ of herbs.  It’s spicy, notorious, and a little goes a long way if you know what I mean. Too much is not good, it’s a laxative. Most importantly, curry, and curcumin are considered effective and safe by most physicians.  Because of the tremendous health benefits, and very low risk for side effects, I would definitely ask your doctor about supplementing with it if you have inflammatory conditions, especially autoimmune ones like rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s, psoriasis and other pain syndromes. Keep in mind, curcumin is like a natural ‘drug’ because it’s very concentrated and has strong, medicinal activity in the body. As for curry, it’s just a spice so the effects are much milder than curcumin and as far as I’m concerned, you can sprinkle to your hearts content!

If you would like to know more about diabetes, please check out my best-selling book, ‘Diabetes Without Drugs” Click Here

If you enjoyed this column, please check out my column Three Herbal Supplements Have Anti-Cancer Activity Click Here

2014-12-12T07:34:58+00:00

27 Comments

1. aida suarez December 12, 2014 at 5:53 pm - Reply

Thanks you had lighted my life curry! LIKE your artistic signature with Love. Merry Christmas to you!

2. Debbie Berish December 12, 2014 at 6:00 pm - Reply

what to take for arthritis?

• Suzy Cohen December 16, 2014 at 12:07 am - Reply

Hi Debbie,
      Please use my search box in the upper right hand corner and you will find articles that will help you 🙂

3. alan crump December 12, 2014 at 6:13 pm - Reply

What is good for the autoimmune problem called, Myasthenia Gravis??
    All thoughts appreciated,
    Alan

4. alan crump December 12, 2014 at 6:15 pm - Reply

What is good for the autoimmune problem called “Myasthenia Gravis” All comments appreciated.
    Alan

5. LEA December 12, 2014 at 6:41 pm - Reply

I adore this product, and took it in Curamin, a pill form. It completely eliminated my fibro pain and I was in awe. BUT, then the down-side hit and I became a twittering idiot, Due to my MTHFR status, I had to stop the Curamin because it (turmeric) is a methyl donor. I have felt pretty miserable since. Any suggestions of how to add a methyl donor for a person who doesn’t properly methylate??

• diane December 29, 2014 at 3:52 pm - Reply

I was taking PoDiaPN when I lived in Dallas. I moved to New York and couldn’t get it so the Dr. here has given me Folapro. Basically you need Folate and Vit. B12. I was getting it compounded at one point and sorry, I don’t remember the dose. It was more expensive too. The PoDiaPn, you’ll need a prescription for. The Folapro is folate. I take B12 separately. Hopes this helps!

6. marta December 13, 2014 at 3:27 am - Reply

i love curry! but- i have read that it is contraindicated if you have gallblader problems. why? curcumin, not curry .

7. Barb December 13, 2014 at 6:46 am - Reply

You mentioned heartburn in your e-mail but didn’t discuss it here in the article. Could you expand more on this spice and how it affects heartburn?

Thanks!

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 8:05 pm - Reply

Turmeric stimulates the gallbladder to make bile, and with more bile production, there is less irritation in the esophagus.

8. Brenda December 13, 2014 at 1:10 pm - Reply

I’ve enjoyed the benefits of Turmeric for years. What can you tell me about Chaga Mushroom?

9. nadine sue reeves December 13, 2014 at 4:22 pm - Reply

can I take thyroscript along with my armour thyroid?

• Suzy Cohen January 11, 2015 at 7:58 pm - Reply

Not sure, we don’t recommend it because if you get too much thyroid hormone, you might get heartbeat racing, insomnia, nausea. That said, many people do it under doctor’s supervision and they are fine. Maybe just 1 capsule a day. I couldn’t possibly know what is right for you, so PLEASE ask your doctor.

10. Teresa McCreery December 15, 2014 at 3:32 pm - Reply

I tried taken tumeric or curcumin supplements in both liquid and in the capsule form and they irritated my reflux and I even think they irritated my kidneys! I love spicy food but this seemed to cause more problems than help. I was advised to add curcumin and resveratol to help my RA and possibly hoshimoto’s. Are there any other suggestions that could help instead of hurt??? My antibody levels are high and my inflammations have risen again…going gluten free doesn’t seem like a reasonable option either for me. I don’t like beans and I really don’t feel bad when I eat wheat. suggestions are welcome!

11. philip goldman December 25, 2014 at 11:11 pm - Reply

perhaps starving ones self can cause DIABETES? In my teens and 20’s it was way too much trouble and cost to stop and eat lunch, dinner especially if the money was not there. My play habits was way more important than lunch. Now at the age of 75+ my type 2 diabetes has been discovered. Am currently taking Metformin, 500 mg at dinner. Please give my some of your ideas so that this Metformin can be discontinued…
    thanking you in advance,
    phil goldman

• Allen January 8, 2015 at 6:02 pm - Reply

Check out Doug Kaufman at http://www.knowthecause.com. He has great articles and a book on diabetes and how to beat it. Suzy and Doug are friends.

12. Megan January 7, 2015 at 11:54 pm - Reply

Hello,
    I’ve been taking Turmeric Curcumin 500 mg, from Puritan’s Pride,once a day for about a year now. I’m 35 and have a mental health diagnosis. I also take Green Coffee Bean and Green Tea to help with weight gain due to a prescription I take. I’ve also been taking Vit. B,C and D and a multi-vitamin and Carlson’s Cod Liver Fish Oil. Does it interact with any of these or would 500 mg be too much. I just ordered some more and only found the 800 mg. So would 800 mg once a day possibly be too much? I ran this by an alternative Dr. about two years ago and he seemed okay with the 500 mg.

13. Takisha Habben January 11, 2015 at 3:01 am - Reply

LOVE this post??? First, Marybeth — I love the morning reading and how you formulated a plan to add one nonfiction/other book in per month. Unlike Ariel, I need to read OTHER genres (I have the exact opposite problem as her). Marybeth’s morning reading of 7 or so pages might be the way to spread my wings — to more nonfiction and even to other genres.

14. Karen January 20, 2015 at 10:19 pm - Reply

I just purchased your book “Diabetes without Drugs”. My husband has been on Metformin for a little over a year and a half. When the doctor recently he recommended he double his dose, he got not so comfortable side effects. I found your site while browsing Dr. Mercola’s site and immediately ordered your book.

In the meantime, is Curcumin something he could take while taking Metformin? He will be starting the protocol outlined on Dr. Mercola’s site, at least till we receive your book, In otherwords, reducing grains, sugars, processed foods, etc.

I would appreciate any advice you could offer. The doctor is one of those that believes if it’s good for him, it’s good for his patients. Ugh.

Blessings!

• Suzy Cohen January 20, 2015 at 11:20 pm - Reply

Hi Karen
      I’m sorry to hear of your husband’s illness. Many people take curcumin herb (or turmeric) with metformin. Advice I can offer? Well, I’m a little partial, lol, but I would follow my 5 step plan in my #1 best-selling diabetes book, the one you just bought. Read the reviews on Amazon, you’ll see that it works. Keep me posted and blessings to you as well 🙂

15. Emily January 21, 2015 at 8:15 pm - Reply

Suzy, My whole family reads your advice and we love you and do what you say.
    My mom 57 had a Saracoma cancer removed from her leg. Md anderson removed it and no chemo. all is well. My question is I am 31 with 4 little kids. I take armour thryoid, iron, c, resveretrol, turmeric, boswillia, probiotics, omegas, vit. D, magnesium and bio identical progesterone. I work out and eat clean. I like to be healthy! Anything else i can do to avoid this cancer??? Thank you so much.

• Suzy Cohen January 22, 2015 at 1:21 am - Reply

Hi Emily
      That is very sweet of you to say! I cover a lot of anti-cancer herbals in my book on Pancreatitis & Pancreatic Cancer. I realize you don’t have anything like this but the educational tips and herbs that I offer in that book might translate to any other cancer b/c I talk about pathways and such. Your list looks good to me 🙂 Good luck to you.

16. Ken Connell April 19, 2015 at 12:17 am - Reply

I accidentally put turmeric in my coffee instead of cinnamon as the spice containers were almost identical. So in addition to sprinkling on my steamed veggies I will occasionally use in coffee…if I remember!

• Suzy Cohen April 19, 2015 at 1:14 am - Reply

I’m trying to wrap my head around your accidental latte enhancer. I think you are just kidding around with me LOL funny guy!
      I put smoked paprika in my hot chocolate you should try it one day 😉